Sign in to follow this  
Scott Paul

Armstrong-Clark Stain - Feedback!

Question

8 answers to this question

Yes, but this particular deck was done last week. A couple of the differences I see right away are:

On an old very dry PT deck, you don't end up with a dark oily look, the AC has so much pigment that you get a decent color at the surface. (we used semi-trans cedar with a hint of toner)

It had been raining yesterday, and we noticed that it beads, which is not something WT did - WT spreads the water out - and I remember many a call trying to explain that WT was not a beading product. To me, I think the consumer will feel better about seeing the beading, since that has been pounded in by so many types of ads on TV over the years (cringe-Thompsons).

To me, this looked a whole lot better on an old deck from the point of installation. Makes me feel pretty positive about it, since those decks often just look old no matter what. Know what I mean?

Beth :cup:

I used the rustic brown semi transparent for the first time the other day and the deck turned out great. It sprayed nicely, covered well, cleaned up off siding easily and the color was nice. I will be trying the woodland brown semi solid this weekend. I did a sample of the semi solid for the customer because they replaced some boards with new boards and flipped a couple other boards. the owner gave me a sample of the three boards (new,flipped and previously stained) for us to strip/wash and stain. the semi solid penetrated well and covered so that there was not a very distinguisable difference between the new and old wood. The customer saw the sample and hired us right away. I am just trying to decide to what point should I push the semi solid over the semitransparent. Some customers care about durability more and not so much about transparency of the stain. Im sure the semi solid will retain its color longer however I am not sure how easily it will strip off if the customer ever wants to go to a more transparent stain in the future. I think I will try stripping the new sample that I just made.

I used the rustic brown semi transparent for the first time the other day and the deck turned out great. It sprayed nicely, covered well, cleaned up off siding easily and the color was nice. I will be trying the woodland brown semi solid this weekend. I did a sample of the semi solid for the customer because they replaced some boards with new boards and flipped a couple other boards. the owner gave me a sample of the three boards (new,flipped and previously stained) for us to strip/wash and stain. the semi solid penetrated well and covered so that there was not a very distinguisable difference between the new and old wood. The customer saw the sample and hired us right away. I am just trying to decide to what point should I push the semi solid over the semitransparent. Some customers care about durability more and not so much about transparency of the stain. Im sure the semi solid will retain its color longer however I am not sure how easily it will strip off if the customer ever wants to go to a more transparent stain in the future. I think I will try stripping the new sample that I just made.

Try and mix the semi-solid with the natural at 50/50. You will get the same color with a bit more transparancy and it still has twice the pigment as a semi-trans.

I have a fence and hopefully a deck to do in early May with Rustic Brown (2) natural (1) and the Woodland Brown (1) which gives a very nice reddish/brown heavy semi-trans. I also plan on doing my own fence and shed in it as well .

Edited by Tonyg

I used the sample I recieved to stain a fence and now there is a chance the customer wants the whole house done in that stain. Hugh