Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

lack of confidence in GM

Lately my steering wheel has been getting looser and looser - I can swing it like from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock without the car going in either direction. So I talked to the mechanic and we set an appointment up. Turns out the steering knuckle is bad - I had the entire front end rebuilt - so the 'weak' link in the chain went bad real quick.

Turns out GM discontinued this part on my '95 - and 9 out of 10 'bone' yards said they didn't have it. Supposedly one guy says he has one still in the van that is good, crossing my fingers. But it didn't leave a very good feeling in my stomach. What are you suppose to to do - trash a perfectly good van over a stupid u-joint in the steering column?

What a fiasco if these companies go out of business! Sure the thing drives like a 'bread' truck but that astro van has been so reliable. I'd hate to see it go.

The steering knuckle - it's like a double ended u-joint just before the steering box. Hopefully I have one for tuesday - the van is almost undriveable, especially in a side wind at highway speeds. I dragged the trailer to a job - and ended up doing the 'S' dance all the way there.

The steering knuckle - it's like a double ended u-joint just before the steering box. Hopefully I have one for tuesday - the van is almost undriveable, especially in a side wind at highway speeds. I dragged the trailer to a job - and ended up doing the 'S' dance all the way there.

LOL Danny

I JUST had a Driveshaft take a walk on us at 65 mph on our Mitsubishi Fuso Flatbed.

Chlorine leaked - it rusted yoke and u joints !

OUCH !!

LOL Danny

I JUST had a Driveshaft take a walk on us at 65 mph on our Mitsubishi Fuso Flatbed.

Chlorine leaked - it rusted yoke and u joints !

OUCH !!

Really? I hope some of those guys who think their equipment is 'bought 'n paid for' as an excuse why they're cheap, read this thread. Might knock some sense into guys.

Really? I hope some of those guys who think their equipment is 'bought 'n paid for' as an excuse why they're cheap, read this thread. Might knock some sense into guys.

We are between a rock and a hard spot Dan!

Buy a NEW truck - the chlorine eats it up!

"Get By" with an old rusted clunker - watch driveshafts FLY ?

Dan I would say most guys are probably thinking that your lack of confidence should not be in GM but in a 14 year old vehicle. I'm not knocking you, I have a 96 E-van and 97 box truck on the road in great condition each with under or a little over 100K, but at that age, parts that can rust through or take a ton of stress just wear out. I'm sure you'll find your part on the net, like David mentioned.

Well - there is a bone yard that has the part. Just spooked me, up until now finding parts for the vehicle hasn't been a problem. I'll have to plan on updating in 2 years, give me enough time to get through this recession with minimal spending. She's a hard worker - but just was never designed to pull a tandem axle trailer - I am very 'ginger' when stepping on the throttle.