Sign in to follow this  
Aqua Pro

Tar removal question..

Question

Substrate= Split face block

Problem= Runs/stains down face of block that appear to be leeching from behind the gutter system. Upon closer inspection, it looks like roof tar.

Originally thought it was rust from lag bolts or some other ferrous stain or the other direction...that being some sort of carbon/pollution. Tried HD-Brightnol and saferestore test sections as well as V-scrub (caustic)

Nothing touched it. That's when I got the ladder out and pried the gutter system up to exxpose the roof line and seen thick black roofing tar.

Acetone?

What do you all think?

8 answers to this question

kerosene!

Rod has been in business for many years and has a ton of great advise. Just want to share a couple of K-1 stories with you all.

All I can say is make sure your insurance is paid up. If it is paid up, you better hope your insurance agent and the underwriters don't goggle you and see you are cleaning with a Fuel source.

Here is a quick story

A customer of mine had a friend that was having a hard time to get a certain sealer to work properly on his newer deck around a pool. This man was talking with the chemist that help develop the sealer to fine the right answer. They were both at their Witt's ends on dealing with the product including removing it off the deck.

The chemist told the home owner to strip off the deck with a flammable raw solvent, and guess what it worked.

The home owner was not home a few days later and returned to his home completely burnt down. The flammable material used not only soaked into the wood but the electrical wire around a pump was bad and the entire home was a loss.

A multi million dollar law-suit was filed and the home owner won.

Edited by anthony szabo

Another Story,

A pressure washing contractor (low baller) always used kerosene as a degrease because its old school on degreasing. The contractor would spray kerosene on a equipment then pressure wash off. Well the contractor done this for many months before one day the engine compartment caught on fire and it cost the company over $100g's to rewire the machine.

The company did not know the low baller was using K-1 to do his work. Needless to say we picked up a nice account using bio-degradable degreasers and using hot water to clean.

Fuel is fuel, fuel is not a cleaner! Be-careful! and think of the ground contamination you just created by using fuel as a cleaner.

Both these cases were using excess k-1 as a degreaser and I'm positive Rod is giving good advise. But we all must not forget everyone can see what you are doing by doing a search on you.

Edited by anthony szabo

I agree with you Tony,

My advice was based upon the use of Kerosene on small portions and to control the after effects by breaking it down with degreaser.

But Yes, I am glad you pointed out the liability of the situation. (dont drink coffee here and although not an excuse, I should have considered that in my post).

Thanks Tony for bringing that to light.

Rod!~

I probably should have posted a pic or two with the original thread but didn't have them uploaded yet.

Maybe this will assist the advisers! ;-) (link at bottom)

The roof has been patched extensively in the past. I pried the gutter up to have a look underneath/behind it and that is when I seen the heavy tar deposits at the roof line.

My assumption is that the roof had been leaking (maybe even still is) and the tar has been leeching down onto the wall over an extended period of time.

Take a look at the photos and ...YOU be the judge. Does anyone think I can further improve on this project? Or do you think it "is what it is"?

Thanks again.

PS- sup Tony! Hope your having a good year. I know things were a bit rough last year family wise. Said a prayer or two for you. Give me a shout sometime.

Before/after

Edited by Aqua Pro

Thanks Tom,

For the words of hope! Kinda getting of subject but my wife and I are having a hard time just going to church, because her Father and Mother always sat with us and now its just her Mom. The Church was my father-in -laws pride.

As for the K-1 to clean, Rod's advice is what I would do. My post above is saying not to use large quantity's of K-1.

Gonna give the K1 a try...will use a small pump up sprayer to apply. Will post results.

PS- No need to apologize Tony on the hijack. I lost my grandmother just over one year ago. She was one of my best friends and I was the oldeest grandson. We were very close and burying her was one of the hardest things I have ever had to face.

They say time heals all wounds but will never erase the love or memories.

Hang in there man and remember (speaking of Jesus) that he is a very present help in time of trouble!

-Tom