Sign in to follow this  
modhatter

What pressure washer to buy????

Question

Well, it's time to take the plunge. I have decided on all the other toys and accessories, except the big one - The Pressure washer. This is what I want in general.

Hot water unit

3500 psi

20 hp

5.6 gpm

Honda engine

general pump

flow style uploader

Money is an issue, so the very expensive models $5,000 and up, are out for me. So with this type of configuration what are some good units for the money? My budget for a unit is about $4,500. (for pressure washer)

Also, who has the best prices. If this can"t be posted (I am not sure) please e-mail me. I would love to find a whole rig for sale with newer - used equipment on it, but haven't seen anything. My son only has a Toyota, Tundra 1/2 ton pickup so it can't be too heavy.

One last thing. There are some outfits around here that put units together (build them) Are these good options, or would I be better off with a brand name unit?

Sonja

8 answers to this question

Well, it's time to take the plunge. I have decided on all the other toys and accessories, except the big one - The Pressure washer. This is what I want in general.

Hot water unit

3500 psi

20 hp

5.6 gpm

Honda engine

general pump

flow style uploader

Money is an issue, so the very expensive models $5,000 and up, are out for me. So with this type of configuration what are some good units for the money? My budget for a unit is about $4,500. (for pressure washer)

Also, who has the best prices. If this can"t be posted (I am not sure) please e-mail me. I would love to find a whole rig for sale with newer - used equipment on it, but haven't seen anything. My son only has a Toyota, Tundra 1/2 ton pickup so it can't be too heavy.

One last thing. There are some outfits around here that put units together (build them) Are these good options, or would I be better off with a brand name unit?

Sonja

Shoot me an email at ron.mahlke@frontiernet.net and I will tell you what I have found.

With those Spec's, you might be pushing it with the price.

I think that Beth sells pressure washers, but am not sure. Delco has competitive pricing on their relabeled Aladdins. Higherpowersupplies.com has some good prices on Tuff's. Just remember that it might cost $300 or $400 in shipping.

Scott Stone

Hitting your price point doesn't seem to be a problem, but have you considered how you are going to get a machine that will weigh somewhere around 1,000lbs from the dealer to your door (or truck/trailer bed)??? Going to an out-of-state vendor to save on sales tax is a powerful incentive, I admit, but the shipping is going to kill you (maybe not just figuratively, either!). Keep in mind that when "free shipping" is offered for items like this there is always a requirement that the delivery be made to a commercial address. The gist of this is that you must have either a forklift or "dock high" loading pedestal (something few houses seem to have, I've noticed ;) ) to unload the item from the semi trailer - the driver is only responsible for getting your item to the back door of the trailer, and is often prohibited from doing anything else out of liability concerns. So you may want to buy from dealers more local to you; two are Spray Mall (Boca Raton) and Water Cannon (Orlando).

One idea that may work if you have limited options:

Go to a local commercial location that has a loading dock (grocery store, dept. store, etc.) and talk to the manager about working out a deal. Clean his sidewalks for him (remove gum and dirt) for free if he will allow you about 15 minutes worth of his loading dock and access to a pallet jack. He can have one of his employees handle the pallet with your supervision (so he has no liability for your machine) and you have no liability for his property, since his workers are handling it. Loading docks are unused most of the day so there should be no problem with logistics. It just depends upon whether or not you can talk a good deal. If I were a store manager, I'd give 30 minutes of my employees minimum-wage time for a clean sidewalk. And, you may score some walk-up clients in the process of cleaning the store (and earn a future customer from the store itself). There's nothing to it but the way you do it!

Ryan H.

Another option:

Most trucking companies have depots where you can pick up your shipment.

Have the distributor provide you with the trucking co. name and phone number where you can make contact and find out the nearest depot.