Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Why I am going with A.C.

Question

Choosing deck stains the past few years has been troublesome at best. My frustrations have been - as much as my customers have dropped their jaws from the final finish - and despite the fact I have used every trick in the book - there is still something amiss in my eyes with the finish.

Now there is this competitor in my area - and they did this deck by the roadside last summer - I drive by it as least once a week - and it looked beautiful the day they put it on - and almost a year later - the deck looks totally rocking - Except for a single vein {wood has tricky spots, nothing you can do} the deck truly has an appearance that has not faded one iota!

I have almost swallowed my pride on several occasions and nearly stopped to knock on the guy's door and ask if they know what product was used, but I restrained for many reasons. The finish is that gorgeous.

So I go on this competitor's website and they mention the stain they use has over 75% solids. So I start looking through the different manufacturers to check out what the solids content are - thinking perhaps TWP 500 series is such - but no, I try others. Then I do a search and find an article and link to A.C.'s website - lo and behold their semi-trans is 75% solids - PAYDIRT!!!

I've been drooling over this deck for about a year now! Now I have the confirmation of what the product is. Like I said - you use every trick up your sleeve to make sure a job turns out well and looks great - and even though the customer loves it - you just know it should be so much better. And I know my competitor doesn't really prep nearly as much as I do. So now I am really looking forward to using Armstrong-Clark - I've been watching the results for a year and love what I am seeing.

55 answers to this question

With my conversation with Jake - it is not and does not have the same amount of pigments as a semi-solid. The pigments may be as expensive as a semi-solid and deserve the same price but it is not comparable as far as opacity.

Jake may want to clear up the confusion. I made the mistake of telling the HO I did today that it had the same protection as a semi-solid. Good thing it stays in the shade most of the day.

I will get a better answer from Jake and post.

Okay here is what was explained to me about Super Cedar.

1. It is not a semi-solid.

2. It will look like the Transparent Cedar in finished color.

3. It has 3 times the amount of Trans Oxides as the regular Transparent Cedar. Hence being priced with the cost of the semi-solids.

Basically this is a lightly tinted Cedar Color. Having 3 times the trans oxides, it will give substanial better UV protection then the Tranparent Cedar.

Hope this helps

Kinda sounds like it is the best of both worlds? A transparent with the protection of a semi-trans? How is it in relation to the semi-trans and semi-solid?

Sounds like they just replaced some of the iron oxides(clay pigment) with transparent iron oxides which are about 4 times the price and are "supposed" to last longer. To me with us who restore wood, straight transparent iron oxides don't finish out as well as the blend specifically the semi-trans. On new wood now that's when I would go with straight trans-oxide's.