Sign in to follow this  
keepinitclean

What Happen Here??

Question

I went to give a bid yesterday for a house wash, white vinyl. The owner tried powerwashing it with some oxy-clean. It was also very oxidized. He said the AC guy sprayed some type of oil on his house while fixing the ac or heater? here are some pictures of the damage. Looks pretty band to me. Is their a way to bring the vinyl back? Thanks for you help

post-1713-137772245254_thumb.jpg

post-1713-137772245257_thumb.jpg

post-1713-137772245259_thumb.jpg

post-1713-137772245262_thumb.jpg

post-1713-137772245265_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

My conclusion the only way to restore this type of siding is to remove all the oxidation - and the only way to do that is heavy concentrations of sodium hydroxide/TSP loads of brushing, multiple applications, and very high pressure washing....Run!

try some gutter shock on the area where the oil is. gutter shock is butyl based which should eat up the oil... I certainly screwed up an oil sealed driveway a few years ago with GS!!

no running for me not our company style. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Gonna use vinyl-renu on the really bad side.

Unless you have a signed waiver, your style better change. You could be held liable for someone elses oops.

Granted the pics show damage here but given that you have asked how to deal with it means you are not experienced enough (no offense meant here) to correct it if it can be.

This is damage and may not be reversible. The siding was subjected to high pressure washing and not only was the oxidation removed, so was a layer of the substrate.

The cost for trying to 'even' it out vs replacement is about the same albeit the latter would make the rest of the house look old by comparison.

In addition, you pointed out it was damaged, to even it out means replicating a marginal version of that damage. This is something you want no part in because you set yourself and/or your company up for a liability to replace it without a disclaimer/waiver signed by the customer.

If you do not have a waiver, you will need to have a paralegal or better draft one for you. They are usually universal in format but it allows you to describe the pre-existing conditions and the process you are being asked to perform and what that process might inflict upon the substrate.

Another important question: does your liability insurance cover this?

Sorry for the long post but I have a short story for you.

We had a prospect call us for a housewash. Upon arriving the customer was not the usual sort of friendly but invited us to look at the property and give him an estimate. Before hand though, the customer pointed out across the street, another house which had been pw'd and mentioned the streaking and asked if that should be replaced.

He mentioned that his house was around the same age and thought about getting new siding since his was oxidized pretty badly.

He also happened to mention during the course of conversation that he would not hesitate to file a suit if his siding didn't turn out well or looking like the one across the street.

The customer said he had an errand to run and left in his car.

Beth and I looked at each other, finished our walk around the house, got in our vehicle and left w/o leaving an estimate.

It was the last estimate of the day so as soon as we got back, the phone was ringing and it was that last customer. He was downright furious that we didn't leave an estimate and demanded that we send him one right away.

I politely said: "Thank you for the opportunity sir, but we decline." and ended the call.

Yours may not be as obvious but there are wolves in sheep's clothing. Your other thread is showing that you are having problems with another customer so I will end this by saying: "Contractor Beware and C.Y.A.!" (Cover You Anterior) :)

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

p.s. Rod forgot to mention that as we were walking up to his door, we noticed damage from a pressure washer, inflicted by him or another company....maybe the one who did damage across the street, we did not know....

Beth

My conclusion the only way to restore this type of siding is to remove all the oxidation - and the only way to do that is heavy concentrations of sodium hydroxide/TSP loads of brushing, multiple applications, and very high pressure washing....Run!

And take advice from someone else. Never use high pressure on a house nor anything else in this post. This is almost criminal and not what I would expect from someone on this bbs.......plainpainter I can only surmise this was intentional because I know you know better than that for sure...You can't be that stupid and to try to cause this guy more problems is unconscionable.

Mud Duck- trust me Ive been in the business for too many years. I had to laugh at that post. Oh and use 200degree steam. it makes a world of difference!! LOL I use 500psi 0r less an good old cold tank water.

pressurepro, haha...There a first time for everything! But not after doing everything I could. I'll have his A&C semi-trans on thurs. I was even picking it up at will call early so I could take care of him and he just wanted more sanding, ect...

I was with my attorney for an hr trying to fix the situation, after my attorney listen to him for an 25min without getting in two words. My attorney advised me was to chalk this one up as a learning experience.

On a better note the siding came out great, also the deck and furniture. The home owner is very happy!! Ill post pictures of all work soon!!

Thanks for everyone's input! Ain't life grand..