Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Stripping Wolman's Extreme

Question

Looked at a job last night. Hands down, the largest residential deck I have ever seen. Did not measure, but would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 4500 sq. ft.

PT SYP in decent shape. Unfortunately, stained 2 yrs. ago with a nice coating of Wolman's Extreme, a semi-trans acrylic. Failing on the horizontal wood, but very intact on the vertical wood.

For laughs and customer awareness, put down a very hot, boosted NaOH stripper on two test spots. As expected, would not budge the acrylic.

We have a stripper that will get acrylics, even multicoat acrylics off in one pass. But the problem is that it has the consistency of pudding, and a Binks 3/4 GPM commercial airless will not push it. It has to be laid down by hand.

There are other specialty strippers on the market, Napier's Removall 310 comes to mind, that are apparently very effective with these types of tough acrylic stains.

My question is two fold. First, has anyone removed Wolman's Extreme in the past without spending days of sanding, and was the stripper used able to be sprayed or mechanically applied?

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Rick,

Dorado Strip 3031. Spray on, leave for hours, do not let dry, wash off. Environmentally friendly, but costs and arm and a leg. Have used it to strip multiple layers of brown paint from a vertical surface.

Beth

Got a match?

We did a strip last year of Wolman Extreme that we applied two times before the company quit distributing it here.

We used 760, 633ADD to get it off but used a lot of chems to do it with. Plus we had to sand as well afterwards.

My suggestion, Dorado strip.

Rod!~

Beth & Rod,

Thanks so much for the heads up on Dorado Strip 3031. It appears that Sherwin Williams distributes it, so I may be able to get a gal. for use in testing at a local store.