Sign in to follow this  
TNTPW

Lesson Learned

Yesterday i did a entry way, patio, driveway, and some of the back patio. I used several chemicals to get the job done. There was some rust, grease, mold, algea and some other stuff we could not identify. Needless to say i did it all wrong. I went ahead and did my normal routine, I looked the surface over and moved stuff that needed to be moved, pre-wet a lot of things then sprayed my chemicals. Clean the whole place up. Looks great! I went back one last time to check to make sure i got everything and i saw a rust spot still on the drive way. So i decided i would take this chemical and just poor some on the drive way and brush it in. Huge mistake. Straight chemical no water. At first i smelt it and i did not pay attention to it. Well i got the rust off. Went home took a shower, and about and hour after the shower i noticed that it felt like my throat and lungs were burning. So i drank some ice water. Did not help. I took some throat medcine. Did not help. I call the doctor this morning and he thinks i burned my throat and my lungs with this chemical. I wanted to let everyone know that just because it is just a little bit of chemical does not mean it can not hurt you. From this point forward i do not care what chemical I use I will were a mask. Do not let it happen to you.

Ron,

Yea it was an acid, it was a rust remover. It did not harm when i diluted it the way it was suppose to be used but when i decided to use it at full strength is when it hurt me. All i can say is LESS ON LEARNED. Sorry i had to learn it the hard way. That is why i posted it here so no one else would have to learn the hard way.

Ron,

Yea it was an acid, it was a rust remover. It did not harm when i diluted it the way it was suppose to be used but when i decided to use it at full strength is when it hurt me. All i can say is LESS ON LEARNED. Sorry i had to learn it the hard way. That is why i posted it here so no one else would have to learn the hard way.

Which acid in particular is in the rust remover? Oxalic, Hydrochloric, Phosphoric or sulphuric, Sulphamic, Glycollic?

Two most common high vapor acids used in rust removers are Hydrochloric (Muriatic) and Phosphoric. Oxalic acid is also used but it does not fume as much.

It was Oxalic, Phosphoric acid. I used to different chemicals with this in it. I did not use together. after each application i made sure i rinsed very good as to not mix the two.

Yeah be careful. Had this happen to me years ago however this was a case of some idiot putting acid in a winshield washer jug and left it in the corner. Like an idiot myself I picked it up and took a big ole smell. Got myself some seriously burnt sinuses, bleeding, the whole works..

Travis,

Sorry to hear about the problem you had. Hope all heals properly without long term effects.

It can never hurts to wear a respirator along with other protective gear such as goggles, gloves, etc.

Always read your MSDS and understand the effects of each chemical in the solution you are planning to use. Also, carry the MSDS with you on each job.

Makes diagnosis and treatment easier and quicker if an accident does happen.

Remember:

"Safety First and Make IT Last!"

Don't know if it was worse, just not very fun :D Needless to say I fired the guy shortly after that deal, not only for that incident but the fact I found out he was coming to work baked most of the time and did not want him killing someone...

Thanks for the concern paul. I just tried to take a short cut and i got the short cut of it all. I did nto want to mix another batch of stuff so used it full strength. You can bet that will not happen again. For some reason i like to learn lessons the hard way.

Similar experience in the janitorial side of my work......

Was in a hurry to clean some bathrooms and doused the urinals with bleach. That in itself was no big deal, but the bleach running off the urinals onto the floor caused quite a stink.

ammonia + chlorine = RUN FAST!!!

<RANT>

Why is it that people who claim to be kick-ass hunters can't seem to hit a toilet bowl with any degree of accuracy and precision? With the degree to which they miss a toilet, I estimate that they would miss hitting a deer by about 100 yards.

</RANT>

There was a artical in the Tampa Paper about a pressure cleaner who used a bucket to acid wash the driveway and then poured chlorine in the bucket to do the roof, half way up the ladder and BOOM! Blew a hole in the house and just about killed himself. Ill find the artical. Rick G

Heres the artical- Just use you head folks...

Briefs

Worker severely burned in chemical explosion

By Times Staff Writer

Published January 17, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - A container with an acid residue exploded Friday morning in New Tampa, severely burning a 36-year-old man.

Investigators say Kenneth Toledo, a Tampa man who owns a pressure washing business, poured chlorine and water into the container, which had previously been used to apply an acid wash. The container had not been properly rinsed, and the resulting chemical reaction caused the explosion, officials said.

The container exploded as Toledo scaled a ladder to clean the roof of a Hunter's Green home in the 17800 block of Osprey Point Place, pelting Toledo with chemicals and shrapnel. He was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital. His condition was unknown Friday.

The explosion also blew a 2-foot-wide hole in the roof. Tile was scattered about the driveway.

Back to the original problem, I assume that you diluted the acid(s) by adding the acid to to water, not the other way around. The heat of dilution will cause a marked increase in temp, which can vaporize the acid. Putting water in your bucket first will provide a heat sink.

I'm sorry to here about the lung and throat thing Travis. Its funny how no matter how carful you think you're being it only takes one time to do serious damage. I hope you feel better.

Thanks for all your concerns everyone. I am sure i will be ok and i am SURE i will wear proper equipment next time.

Henry it was phosphoric acid. oxalic acid i mixed with water.