Sign in to follow this  
GAPainter

what have I done?

Question

I washed a house for a customer last saturday. It was not very dirty so I used a weak solution of 1.5 gallons 6%, 10oz simple cherry, 4 0z F13, meguiars car wash(mistake?) and a splash of dawn mixed in a 5er. When I got to almost the last side of the house, I soaped it down. It started thundering, lightning and raining. I was rushing to get it rinsed down so I could get out of the lightning. I went back yesterday and now there is a white residue in patches on that side of the house? I would guess I didn't rinse well enough.

What can I do to remove this? At this point, she has had her windows cleaned sincde I left. She hasn't noticed it or atleast said anything. Will rewashing that side and brushing remove it, or am I painting that side of the house?

I should mention I applied with and M5. Thank You for the advice.

11 answers to this question

Vinyl or aluminum? What color is the house? First try high volume of water to soften it up and rinse it away. Next try the same solution, as sometimes this is the best way to break something down that has dried. But it does just sound like soap residue.

Jeff

It may be oxidation. Before you get into perfection mode and ruin her window cleaning, follow up with a phone call to see how she liked the job.

+1!

If it is aluminum siding, you may well have cleaned the mildew and algae off to reveal the oxidation beneath it. Severe oxidation is pre-existing condition on old aluminum siding. It's a chalkiness you can wipe with your fingertip. It will be worst on the sunny sides of the home.

Beth

+1!

If it is aluminum siding, you may well have cleaned the mildew and algae off to reveal the oxidation beneath it. Severe oxidation is pre-existing condition on old aluminum siding. It's a chalkiness you can wipe with your fingertip. It will be worst on the sunny sides of the home.

Beth

you don't need to go to aluminum siding to find oxidation - the last two white vinyl homes I cleaned, you could wipe the siding with your finger and it turned your fingertips white.

you don't need to go to aluminum siding to find oxidation - the last two white vinyl homes I cleaned, you could wipe the siding with your finger and it turned your fingertips white.

I know that, but typically it is worst on aluminum, one reason is aluminum is an older technology and is not being made any longer, at least not in Maryland. Vinyl is not as problematic.

Beth

I didn't see the F-13. That's really not a great additive for vinyl housewashes. It leaves clouds on windows. Its not needed.

The car wash soap I use as well.. adds sheen.. that's also what it is made for.. breaking dirt surface bond on exterior surfaces.

The siding was painted(grey color) hardie board. The windows were actually fairly clean once done not to mention she called in a window cleaner afterwards. She said she just did that out of habit. She also added her driveway , sidewalks and exterior tile floors. The concrete is sealed and I really havent messed with flat work. Any advice for the concrete (tire marks and Pine needle stains) and the tile floor? I'll add pics this eveing.