Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Questions for my first deck bid

Question

Couple of questions.

1.how do you apply the stain to the railings, Brush. pad or roller or can you spray with an airless sprayer. I plan on using a pump up sprayer, But I have access to an airless if it would save time. I would think there would be a lot of over spray with the airless. Deck has 82 feet of railing, with spindles 1 inch apart.

2.Is the olympic brand a good brand? on The front deck he wants the stain to match his interior wood floors as much as possible. Olympic solid is sold at home depot and has a mahogony color that should be close. (I really hate using HD products, but dont have time to research others like I did with wood tux.)

3. I put the samples Beth sent me on a piece of PT board that exactly matched his back deck and if he goes with me, he loves the honey gold. Funny I should get my first call on a deck just a day after I did that.

4. lastly, does anyone care to share a contract or estimate form with me that they use strictly for decks? fax# 727-398-7718

10 answers to this question

I have the same question on the sprayers... I am hoping someone can answer. I used a pump up last weekend. It created large drops that landed everywhere. I am thinking that an airless would create a mist and actually be easier to control the overspray...

The best sprayer I've found is a backpack sprayer from northern tool, it puts out a lot of volume and the size of the droplets is workable. They work great for fences and as close as the pickets on that deck are it may be what your looking for. They also hold about 4 1/2 gallons of sealer. Just be careful when using it, wet everything down around the deck and tarp if needed.

I've never found anything to beat an airless sprayer. They do have control for the pressure so overspray is not a poblem. If you are worried about spraying the rails and getting stain on the house, take a tarp (the runners work best as they are usually 4x16) and hang it on the inside of the rail holding it in place with a couple staples from a tack stapler.

Andy

On top of the tarp, we also like to staple cardboard on the inside of the railing (to run about 12-18" above the rail). This also helps to keep overspray under control.

I'd like to add a question here. What's the story with Sherwin Williams? They changed their deck sealers. I always used the cuprinol in the blue label in cedar...now they tint the sealers and it looks mustard yellow. I even called cuprinol and was told there is no formula for cedar. Any input on this?

Andy

I will be using wood tux. What If any problems will I have if I spray one side the take the tarp down and do the other, will i blend properly?

Also, how quickly can you walk on it after its done to touch up spots, replace furniture, etc.

I should have asked russ on thursday nights chat.

Advanced power wash.

thanks for the contract sample. Unfortunatly the fax machine shrinks to fit and I cant read half of it. If you can cut off the address and resend, it shouldnt shrink it.

thanks again.

Guest Sopowerclean

I hate to sound dumb but could you please post a pic of how you tarp off rails. that is one of the things i have trouble with and i am not getting a visual image in my head of how you described it. Thank you

Lawrence Carter

Southern Power Clean

I dont have a digital camera...it broke...basically I just hang them over the rails leaving one side exposed to spray. I fasten them with 2 or 3 staples from a tack staple gun. When it's time to move the tarp the staples come right out with the tarp...if not they are easy to pull with a pliers

Dale...I know about deck scapes....but they cant tint the water base stuff to cedar anymore....it looks like mustard when they try.

Andy