Sign in to follow this  
keepinitclean

what would you do????

Question

I started work on this project one week ago. It has turn into the biggest nightmare. here are some pictures of the project. I charged $1.25. I offer him every color in woodtux, or ready seal. Its want I have in stock. Accidentally armstrong & Clark was introduced in ti the bid by my Amy. My original bid was for $ 1.50, ithink the job should have been $1.75+. Do you think A&C semi-trans cedar will look good on this deck. Theres still a bit a old stain everwhere. I was recommending ready-seal LT. Brown, or Woodtux WC or BS. what would you do. Im gonna call Jake Clark in the morning.

post-1713-13777224571_thumb.jpg

post-1713-137772245713_thumb.jpg

post-1713-137772245716_thumb.jpg

post-1713-137772245718_thumb.jpg

post-1713-137772245721_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

Since I finished the stripping (3) times. and defurring. I had to stop work for the costumer, since I was unable to offer him a color that he wanted, granted he and his wife said they wanted wood tux western cedar, that a transparent Cedar. Any input on how to deal with this costumer. he says he only paying the deposit of 397.81 to strip 1275sq.ft of solid. you can see what it looks like now after 20.5 hrs. and 25gal hd-80, & 10gal Citrlic. What would you do

post-1713-137772245724_thumb.jpg

post-1713-137772245727_thumb.jpg

he's insisting on Armstrong & Clark semi-trans cedar. I dont have in stock

I would have to buy the product and still only get paid $1500 for the whole job. It was supposed to be only ready-seal as on option. A&C was cut & pasted by accident. so now he's set on the web site pic on A&C site of the Cedar. That would cost me another $500 on a project. I'm already way underbid. All this on a clerical mistake. I have nothing against A&C stains, I just havent used them yet! he now sticking it to me pretty good, says I'll have to pay him when this is all over???

Remember what was on his deck before 3 rounds of HD-80 boosted. Major strip and there still plenty of remaining brown & red acrylic solids in the wood. you all know how hard it is to get all that old crazy acrylic out of the wood grains. I think the A&C semi trans cedar will show too much of the old stains.

any Ideas??? Thanks Sam

Sam.. what is the difference if you have it in stock or not? You still had to pay for stain for this deck at some point. Whether you bought it three months ago and have it in stock or you buy it today makes no difference. Its still a direct expense. You will use much more Ready Seal than A/C on this deck so the cost factor there is also the same.

Lesson learned my friend.

Anything over and above or not included in the written estimate is not an obligation to either party. If the person wants another product other than what you spec'd, provide him with a written estimate for the difference and additional shipping charges. You are under no obligation if it isn't in writing. If it is in writing, order the product and install it.

I can understand the cost factor point Ken has made but there is a premise to be established with any customer. If it isn't on the estimate, it is extra no matter what. It takes you another trip, ordering time and the rescheduling to accommodate this customer till the product arrives.

If you are small now, it may not seem a big deal, but wait till you get bigger and your time is stretched thin. You will begin to appreciate having a policy that is in line with most contractor laws because it is there to protect both parties.

As far as he is only paying the deposit, you completed the strip portion which means you have complied with the contract as you were obligated. The customer is obligated to pay that portion. Unless for some reason you didn't specify that in your estimate separately what each cost was going to be.

Proceeding on the basis you did separate the costs line by line, tell him that he must pay that portion, if he does not, then you must notify him of your intent to file a lien on his property in lieu of the unpaid balance (in writing, certified or registered mail) and will see him in court. If your state requires you to be licensed in order to do so, you are in between a rock and limbo on that money if you are not.

If your paperwork is in order and you have a signed original of the contract, you have the best position as you have pictures to document your work. Their change of mind in color is not an obligation to you. There must be a change order or addendum by most contracting laws to be filed and signed by both parties before changes can be implemented. (check you local state regulations)

If you do not have your end (signed contract, specific cost breakdowns for each service, the product and color indicated and signed by the contractee) you have little to go on and if it were me, I'd cut my losses and walk away. Some states have a verbal agreement clause but those are often hard to litigate and cost more to hire an attorney than it is worth.

Edited by Beth n Rod

Sam.. what is the difference if you have it in stock or not? You still had to pay for stain for this deck at some point. Whether you bought it three months ago and have it in stock or you buy it today makes no difference. Its still a direct expense. You will use much more Ready Seal than A/C on this deck so the cost factor there is also the same.

+1!

Buy what you need, do the job, and either return the other pail or use it on a future job. Problem solved.

However....did you specify the product on your paperwork? You answer lies in your paperwork. If he agreed to another product IN WRITING, you have something to discuss. If not........make him a happy customer.

Beth

Just order the AC, stain it and be done with it.

Don't worry about the acrylics color still in the wood. The AC Semi Trans cedar will definitely cover up way better than RS or WT.

I know the A&C would work but. I sold him on readyseal I had. He expect me to get the A&C out of my pocket. I never walked away from a job but this guys tearing me up. Because of this mess Ill have to remove Amy Beyer as one of the owners of the company? yes this has caused a lot of problems.

Why are you even talking about removing an owner?? There obviously was a mis-communication on stain types. One job shouldn't sink your business. Buy the AC, stain it, take a loss, and move on to another deck. Use the ready seal you have on another job. You can't honestly believe that 500 dollar of stain is gonna destroy your business???

I know there's tough customers, but its not worth fighting man.

1200 square feet of wood will take you maybe 6-7 gallons. Two pails from the sealer store will cost you about 150 each plus shipping. All in all probably get 10 gallons delivered for like 380 bucks.

You definitely won't use all the stain so you will have enough extra for another small deck job probably.

Update: I am now running as fast as I can with $397.81! I've billed him for labor, but since he's study law, I wont see another dime. I talked with Jake, and he was very helpful. I know we will be working together in the future. Thanks again Jake. Can't wait to use your stain-line!!

The costumer now wants more stain to be removed, his deck re sanded since it rained, ect...... not today! I can do no right, so I will stop killing myself over this mess.

thanks Big C._ I got the stain from Jake, but wont apply it for this Job.

The man has made it clear, I can do no good, so I wished

him good luck! The owners my fiance, and this has cause an unbelievable mess between us. Silly, I know over a cut & paste.

Edited by keepinitclean

Hey would anyone like to send me one of there deck bids/contract, so that I can add to mine? I'm missing something in mine. I'll send a copy of mine. I don't need to do this again with a customer. Thanks ahead for any and all input. Sam

how do I remove a name from my sig. keeps telling me BB error to the left?

PS don't let work mess with your family. mistakes happen. life is too short!!

Edited by keepinitclean