Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

My naughty competition....

Question

This is the kind of behavior I have to put up with my competition. We bid the same jobs - I am much more expensive, and they wonder why I win the job?

Anyways good reason not to have a beautiful new truck - thank god the past three days have been dark and rainy so the egg stains didn't stay. I downstreamed a week old left over bleach/S.C. solution added some car soap and brushed my van with a green nylon truck Brush Bob sold me. Looks good as ne...eh used!

post-1720-137772246269_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Dan, semi funny story for you. I was driving around with Christine the other day. Of course as we go I am assessing trucks, vans, anything that rolled and could be used by a contractor. Sitting on one street was a nasty beater van.. maybe late seventies Dodge. I made a comment in the nature of "look at that P-O-S". Chrissy assessed it and saw it was a painter's van and said "oh, all painters vans look like that."

Dan, semi funny story for you. I was driving around with Christine the other day. Of course as we go I am assessing trucks, vans, anything that rolled and could be used by a contractor. Sitting on one street was a nasty beater van.. maybe late seventies Dodge. I made a comment in the nature of "look at that P-O-S". Chrissy assessed it and saw it was a painter's van and said "oh, all painters vans look like that."

LOL - when are people going to connect the 'dots'? The reason painters are driving such POS's is because they aren't getting paid well enough. But then again Michael K. says there are only cheap customers if you agree to work for a cheap price - and to a large degree I agree with him. So why is it that painters are such enablers with such low self esteem issues as a whole?

Pressure washing is a new industry - but the way some guys here make comments about - doing the customer 'right' - I ain't out to make a 'killing' - and other mindless comments, it seems the low self esteem is running through this industry as well. That's why I joined the ***** - with more professionalism the industry commands more respect - and respect is commensurate with compensation.

That's what so many guys don't understand - there is a direct correlation with respect and pay. And if homeowners don't pay you much - it's because they think you are garbage. You can rationalize that anything is easy to do - and that's the trap guys fall into when they hear homeowners comment about they could buy a washer from home depot and do it for the same price. These comments are irrelevent - we price our trade by the overhead we carry and all our licensing and insurance fees - what lowe's charges for a pos p.w. has no bearing on how we should be pricing.