Sign in to follow this  
patriot pressure washing

Help stripping old sealer off stamped concrete

Question

11 answers to this question

Dads easy strip will take it off. Its expensive but you roll it on, or use an airless. then PW off. Its the strongest thing Ive seen, but is nasty stuff. be prepared for some dead grass, and wear a full body condom, (PPE)

You need to be careful when removing sealer from stamped concrete as you can also remove some of the tint. This depends on how it was installed.

This stripper will work:

Paver and Concrete Sealer Stripper | The Sealer Store

If it is just bubbles, then applying a solvent to "melt" the existing sealer is somtimes all you need. Try a gallon of Xylene. Apply it to the bubbles and see if is softens the bubbles so the sealer dries/lies down flat.

all you need to do that is use xylene . the reason it was bubble is because it was not thinned it out with xylene i have had that happen a few times when i sealed concrete

Edited by jkevin

Mike,

Give me a call - I can probably talk you through this better than trying to type. We run into this with installs and later maintenance all the time :)

Celeste 336-516-6356

Xylene or Xylol is NOT necessarily the best option on this.... While yes, for addressing bubbles in a finish, it will emulsify the existing product and cause the bubbles to "lay down", for removal, it is definitely NOT the most efficient or cost effective method and will cause more problems than you may want to deal with.

Photos of the job would be helpful when asking for advise on issues. Without actually seeing the full extent of the issue you are somewhat describing, it is difficult to suggest the best remedy. You could have a $10.00 Xylene solution and a happy homeowner or a $10 Xylene solution that could cost you a lot of money AND a customer.

Celeste

Scotts right. That sometimes works well. avoids stripping it.

I didnt know you had that, Scott.

Yes I added the concrete/paver stripper this year for online sales. I will add to pro site soon. It works great on removing old failed acrylic concrete coatings.