Sign in to follow this  
Jim74

New washer

Folks,

I'm newly registered here, but have been reading for a few days. I am now looking for a new, entry level machine. Just a little background....I have had a box store pressure washer for a few years to clean my house, sidewalks and patio. It's always worked, but slowly. Recently the pump died and I started looking for a new machine. Looking for information has brought me to this site. Over the last few days as I've read through a lot of informative posts, and discussing some of what I've learned with family members, I have decided to put my toes in the water and I think I will try my hand at this professionally. Initially, I'm thinking of houses, driveways and patios. Of course I have a lot to learn, and I'm not going to just jump in head-first. My son and son-in-law are also interested in this. We have a lot of friends and relatives who would like to offer up projects to learn with! I have been looking at a "Black Knight" direct drive unit (model 313) at Sun Brite. It is a 4000 psi, 4gpm unit for 1199. Can anyone offer any advice on this unit, or suggest other machines that would be good starters for about this price range? I don't want to spend a bunch just starting out, yet I need a good entry level machine to get me going and perhaps be a back-up down the road if things go well. Thanks for your insight and advice.

Jim

Jim, my advice is outside the realm of what machine will work best. I could do jobs with a water pic and a scrub brush if I had to. The bigger obstacle is the money you are going to need to get insurance, registered and advertise. There are a ton of guys that have great looking rigs and from speaking to their neighbors on these boards (fellow contractors) their equipment sits in the driveway 5 days per week. The ability to generate customers (making the phone ring) and having the ability to sell yourself are what makes or breaks a business.

Continue reading what works best for guys when it comes to generating leads. We all have different methods that work best in our markets.

Partner up with a pro in your area before you buy equipment. Driveways and residential concrete will not keep you in anything more than pocket change. You'll probably have to branch into roof cleaning, house washing or deck cleaning and staining to make the business sustain. kitchen exhaust cleaning is also a viable option for relatively low startup costs. You just have to be trained right in your chosen type of work.

Please get insured. That's self explanatory.

Sorry about taking you off on a tangent, Jim. If you have the drive, the financial backing and determination to stick with it, you can build a good solid company.

First,

Welcome, what are you wanting to clean?

That will determine what you need. If you are just starting out there are ALOT of excellent used machines on the market from buisnesses closing up so don't go jump into anything.