Sign in to follow this  
ls1cameric

Getting a paint sprayer

Question

I'm going to painting 3 houses starting this weekend and decided to invest in a paint sprayer to make life easier.

My question however, is that I want to be able to spray stain with it when doing decks or fences. I'm a solo guy and have no problem appying stain with a brush but if I spray it on, does it have to be brushed into the grain afterwards or can it just be sprayed and left alone? I've seen a couple vides on youtube with guys spraying it but they always have a helper dragging a cloth pad or something behind the sprayer to "massage" it into the wood.

How could I do this easily by myself?

Also, if i am spraying stain on a fence instead of brushing it on, do I still need to go over the wet stain with a cloth or spunge afterwards? What would work pretty good for that if so? Or should I just go over it with a big stain brush to get rid of excess stain where it collects?

Thanks for the tips, Eric.

Edited by ls1cameric

6 answers to this question

Eric,

When I first started out, used a Binks commercial airless to apply Wolman's F&P stain. As with most if not all linseed oil based wood stains, it had to be back brushed.

We now use a paraffinic oil stain, applied with an HVLP sprayer. On PT wood, it does not need to be back brushed, although we often do. Cedar, redwood, mahoganies, ipe' etc. do get a quick brushing in.

Fences, whether white cedar, western red cedar, or PT pine do not get hand brushed when using paraffinic oil stains. With linseed oil stains, you probably should brush out a fence.

It is not difficult to spray and back brush if working alone. I did it my first two years and I'm old! For deck floors, 2 options. First is to purchase a 2.5 of 3 foot extension that attaches to the airless gun. This allows you to walk upright and spray. Have a 6" or if you can find them, 8" natural bristle brush with a screw in socket on the top of the handle. Attach a screw in pole to the brush top and away you go! Spray a few boards, grab the pole with the brush, and give the wood a quick going over.

The other option is to do the deck floor using knee pads. No extensions or poles needed, just your normal airless gun and a large bristle brush. Spray with one hand, brush with the other. This is actually faster and does a better job, ie: you can really get the board gaps, and can actually fly through wood. Just have to get use to "walking" on your knees.

Edited by RPetry
additon

Eric, I have a Graco XR 7, works well for paint & stains, I used seperate hoses though for water & oil but same gun, although I use a Deckster sprayer for stains now. Back brushing, if material does soak in with in a few minutes will give you a better balanced application with more professional results, and better long term results, no lap marks or heavy spot showing up as wood ages. The same goes with painting, on rougher surfaces you should spray a smaller area back brush for better quality & appearance, Good luck

Edited by acegot

Eric.. My thoughts..

Good sprayer..

-Look into getting appropriate tip is all for the stain consistancy your using...

-Make sure your pole is the extension type and use one of the durable pad gizmos on end that won;t fall apart. I luv the big whister brush too.

-No need to back brush rough sawn fencing.

- If you are going to try and use only one line for both waterborne and oilborne then for sure clean it each time with laqcuer thinner then the degreaser or cellosolve. otherwise your looking at a big clog if you try and use just mineral spirits.

I guess I've been lucky. About every month or so I run some lacquer thinner thru it. If you spray acrylic thru it (commonly called latex) then clean with water. If you're going to Oil run some spirits thru it.then leave it with spirits in it till you spray acrylic again. Before spraying the acrylic use clear water then the paint. I've honestly never had a problem with any of my pumps doing it that way. As far as the XR-7 is concerned (or any airless for that matter) clean clean clean. (more important after acrylic actually). Those smaller sprayers will last a long time if properly cleaned. Although I have rebuilt it once my spray tech 1920 is still in service after probably spraying 5 times what it's rated for yearly and still going strong.