Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

Not Knots!

Question

Ok, I know there isnt much I can do about knots but - is there anything I can do about knots?

Ive had a couple of decks Ive gone back to and the knots seem to be a problem. Horizontals are prepped right and usually always have 2 coats.

Is there any trick that can be done before, during, or after a deck is completed?

This deck did not have problem knots throughout but here and there and really on these six boards.

post-3028-137772249778_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249787_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tonyg

5 answers to this question

Tony, looks like you have sap vein issues. I've noticed any product containing deep diving oils exacerbate (love that word) the issue.

One way we combat knots drying is to coat the floor as soon as we get prepped. The rails then get done and then the floor is given its final coat. There are some decks you can put on twenty coats on those knots and two days later they are whitish again.

Before staining there was no indication there would be this appearance. If I used something like a lacquer thinner to wipe down knots before staining would that help? Lacquer thinner would not leave a residue like mineral spirits. Or maybe use the mineral spirits?

Would it help if I go back and wipe them with a solvent and rub some stain on them?

Edited by Tonyg

Wow thats some of the worst I've seen.

If you are sanding the knots down before staining, lacquer thinner helps clean it up some more. On really old wood Ill do something similar to Ken, but we go around with a brush and dab stain right on the knots before starting anything else.

After its already leaking I think ive read turpentine is best to remove the residue

There is nothing you can do but replace the boards. It comes back. I was at a property four times in three months before I figured that out. Its now a disclaimer in my contracts.

Maybe D-Jim has figured out a solution?