Sign in to follow this  
TNRoofCleaner

Advice Needed

Question

I am in the process of finishing a deck for my son inlaw before the 4th of July and we have decided on AC Sequoia for the rear deck and front porch steps.

The question I have has to do with the front porch. He has was seems to be treated wood for the supports and railings. Now these look to be stained and have been there for almost a year but they have not greyed at all. It is a light brown color. I was told it was not stained. What can be used to clean this so it would be ready for a stain. We were thinking on using a white Deckscapes solid stain and the steps being the AC sequoia.

The reason for the color choice on the front is that the house is a grey to tan vinyl and all the trim is white and the porch is actually cement with a cinderblock wall.

One other question is how long before the deck is usable after staining with the AC? We did a test spot today on the railing and it looks great.

7 answers to this question

Not sure what to tell you about whether the wood is stained or not. If it is youll need to strip it off before putting the AC down. This is a crack shot but if you spritz water on the surface does it bead up at all?

90+ all week. The reason I asked was that I have never seen this type of wood. They say it is only treated but I have never seen treated wood this color. Oh well going to get some stripper and see what happens today. I will try to get pics today as well.

It could be some of that new heat treated wood - does it smell nice? Our samples smell like toast :) The color is just beautiful but I have some apprehension about a wood that has been baked to 0% moisture content!