Sign in to follow this  
Firedkm

Wood Tux sample board

Question

9 answers to this question

Most of the decks in my area seem to be cedar. Probally a 70/30 mix between cedar and pressure treated. Occasionally I wil run across a redwood deck. I have never seen an Ipe deck yet. The composite decks are becoming more popular too.

Professional looking sample board!

We almost had an opportunity to clean an IPE deck this year (very rare around this area - 90% PTW). The customer JUST wanted it cleaned.

As I've said earlier, some key words kick in for me such as IT's ONLY, JUST and a few others and I automatically start with: my minimum is $135.00.

He said at that price, he would buy a pressure cleaner and clean it himself.

Happy Cleaning!

I just stripped a cedar deck and the customer wants a clear coat. How does the Crystal Clear hold up compared to the Honey Gold? (I have Honey Gold in stock they would have to wait for the Crystal Clear.) I told them that the pigment protects the deck from the sun. How hard should I push this? Any idea how much longer the Honey Gold would last over the Crystal Clear?

icon4.gif I need to know by Friday or the customer will just go with the Honey Gold I have in stock.

FYI... After I looked at the sample stick, I liked the Brown Sugar the best.

One more thing. I sent the picture as an attachment to myself. When I viewed the picture, it looked good until I tried to enlarge it. Any ideas. I sent the full size picture and the smaller picture option... same result.

Crystal is like any other clear where greying is concerned. There is no pigment, therefore it will grey faster. If they don't want greying then they should go with the honey gold. Beth

I ve done 3 ipe so far and 2 comming up. I have one ipe that is all curved corners its pretty cool (done with steam and sanding). I have 4 port orford cedars decks comming( biggest pain in the ass wood out there ). One parqued redwood due( 3 foot framed sq's). Many western red cedar and mahog. A few pt. I see less pt than any thing. I just cleaned a huge composite display. They could not get it cleaned with 6% bleach (must use 12% if its bad ).

Thank you Paul.

Jeff post or pm me your email. I will send the original to you. As far as the clear is concerned, I talked to Russell and he stated it will start to gray out in 6 months however it's still protected from water. I feel the honey gold would be the best choice for you on this deck.

If the wood is cedar and its no more 2 years old. in a shady area throw water on it wait 5 minutes. That is the color the customer wants most of the time. Its also a good way to learn colors and tring to match what you see. Try this at home and blend colors to match it !