Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

General brick cleaning?

Question

I have done several brick restoration jobs over the years, but I have a customer who wants just a "regular" cleaning of the unpainted brick. He does not want the restoration type cleaning, which I recommended.

Approximately 100 years old with just typical road dirt and that sort of thing. I like getting a clean looking surface, which in my experience takes the restoration products such as Deitrich or Prosoco.

Any suggestions on what I could use to get a decent cleaning on the brick. Was thinking if just using my basic house wash with maybe a little sodium hydroxide added for a little more cleaning power. Or should I still be looking at an acid based cleaner applied at a more diluted concentration?

My biggest fear is with brick it seems to take the restoration products to make a real difference,..but I'm fussy!! But I think this guy just wants the loose dirt off so he can begin painting the trim and to just have a generally clean building.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

3 answers to this question

Your house wash mix won't do much on 100 year old brick. That being said, let the customer know what to expect and collect the check. If you could also do a test patch of the restoration cleaner vs. your basic wash mix, you may help them see the light.