Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

Looking for Two-Tone semi/semi ideas/pics

Question

Hello All!

I have a couple of decks, and maybe a third, scheduled for the end of August that I may do in a two-tone with two semi-trans or toner (AC) stains. I have plenty of room at my discretion if I can make it look good for the two, the third I will need to sell the two-tone contrast. I've done my share of the solid/semi so far this year and wanted to venture into other options without using a solid in the two-tone scheme.

I have done some searches but was wondering if anyone has more pics of the semi/semi two-tone?

5 answers to this question

Tony,

We have done some 2 tones in the past. Labor intensive, time consuming work. Charge accordingly.

Sorry, nothing with A-C but these pics may give you some ideas. All floor stains are RS medium red. Vertical wood solid stained with Cabot's oil.

First two pics are PT SYP, last pic is ipe' with composite rails.

Tonyg,

We like decks. Especially two tone. They pay well. This deck is actually on the Flood stain cans. They paid us to do it for photos. It actually is semi on the deck with solid white. They changed the colors on the can also. It turned out the way they wanted it to. It now sells cans! LOL

post-2261-13777225387_thumb.jpg

post-2261-137772253872_thumb.jpg

I think tony is talking about doing a two tone with two different stains. Like a walnut on the rails and cedar on the floor or something? Did I read that right, a two tone with no white?

I think tony is talking about doing a two tone with two different stains. Like a walnut on the rails and cedar on the floor or something? Did I read that right, a two tone with no white?

Yep, I am looking for using two colors both from semi-trans or toners. Been doing the solid as a second but wanted to try something different.

Beth, Thanks. I did look through those and I think you had one or two. Great work as usual.

On the decks I am going to do it on one will probably be a AC Redwood Tone on the deck & skirt with possibly a sequoia on the benches - or maybe something else. The other will be some type of two-tone using a dark brown (AC RB/CS) and a lighter brown (AC RB/CS/Na). Even thought about a AC RB/CS and Cedar Tone.

I know these are labor intensive and somewhat tedious but this year I am looking to really broaden the scope of what I have been doing. I wanted to expand with probably a new start up for wood next year and I need the portfolio and specially the experience. The "custom" aspect falls in line with what I want to shoot for will align better with the demographic I target for the painting.

I know I will not focus as much on the two-tones next year as I realize that it will not be the best business model for volume and although I feel I have put a decent price on it, I know there is no where near the margin with the two-tone decks.

I just finished up two decks and now I will be inside for at least the next 5 weeks so I don't get to play for a while. I will be doing the two-tones next month.

Edited by Tonyg