Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Nozzle pressure?

Question

My machine is 4/3500. How do I calculate the decrease in pressure for each nozzle I go up to decrease the pressure and keep the flow rate? If I use a 40 degree #4 tip and double the tip size to #8 at 40 degrees what does the pressure drop to?

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Omege Power Washing, LLC

"The end of the Dirt!"

15 answers to this question

Steve,Since you have a 4 gallon machine and you want to change your pressure to 1000 psi. goto the 1000psi column and follow it down till you see 4.0 ( thats gallons per minute) Then look to the left side and see what size tip you need.

In this case you would need a #8 nozzle to drop your pressure to 1000 psi

Try this...Keep a copy on your rig.

The Angle of the tip doesn't affect the psi coming out of the nozzle.

But it does affect the pressure as it dissipates quicker. By this I mean the distance you are from the surface to be washed. A 15 degree nozzle will still have more psi at say 6" than a 40 degree nozzle would.

Call the below which is closet to you or go to web site, link below and ask for a catalog.

Nebraska:

Dultmeier Sales

13808 Industrial Road

Omaha, NE 68137

Local Phone: (402) 333-1444

Nationwide: 1-800-228-9666

Fax: 1-402-333-5546

Iowa:

Dultmeier Sales

601 West 76th Street

Davenport, IA 52806

Local Phone: (563) 386-0930

Nationwide: 1-800-553-6975

Fax: 1-563-386-5448

http://www.dultmeier.com/about.asp

That chart doesn't answer the question...It gives the size of the spray pattern at a given distance from the surface, but doesn't give any information about how much psi is lost at a given distance...If I have a 25 degree tip that gives me 3000 psi at the nozzle, how much psi is actually hitting the surface of whatever I'm cleaning if I hold the wand, say, 8" away from the surface? How much psi is lost? That'd be a good thing to know...

For example, I clean roofs, and I rinse with a 25 degree size 10 tip, which gives me approximately 1200 psi at the nozzle, which is way too much for a roof. However, the nozzle is kept 12 inches or more from the surface of the roof.....I know I'm not anywhere close to 1200psi hitting the roof...I'd guess 500 psi or less...But it would be nice to know exactly what it is.

it has been a thread in the past...which board i'm not sure.....but people put what ever nozzle they like to use and go by instinct\experience.....start further away and go closer to the surface till your happy....