Sign in to follow this  
zhamilton89

Biggest trailer you can use

Hey guys Im going to be buying a trailer within the next few weeks and i just wanted to know what the biggest trailer I can pull without reaching a point of diminishing returns. i.e. when will the trailer become too big so that the storage space doesn't benefit as much as getting into small places.

I am looking at enclosed trailers and it looks like the smallest i could get away with is a 7x14 tandem, however I am seeing 8x20 tandems for around the same price. I just want to know if an 8x20 is too big? I want to be able to do parking garages and drive throughs with water recovery and I just dont want the trailer being the thing that holds me back from getting large jobs.

I dont forsee weight being an issue, the truck is a chevy 2500 longbed with 4.10 rear and is wired for brakes. Also the trailer will have 550gallons of water in it MAX, and then all the equipment for surface cleaning and recovery. Does this all sound within limitis? The axles are 3500lbs each on the smaller trailers and then 5000lbs each on the larger ones.

Thanks for any help, Im just trying to see some of the things I am missing.

20' trailer will start getting hard to manuver in residential areas. Especially in culdesacs and other dead ends. When you fingure the length of the trailer and then the truck you are at 40'.

In my opinion if you are ever going to hauling 500 gallons ( I do!) you will need the tandem 5000 lb axles. Think about it. 500 gal = 4000 lbs my skid weighs a 1000 lbs and my chem tank could carry 1000 lbs plus equipment and a barrel plus the weight of the trailer. Mine is an 18' and I have an very long wheel base truck (8ft bed and ex cab) yes it canget tight in cul de sacs but I am happy with the 18 ft trlr.

33tnyh0.jpg

Edited by Pat Norman

In my opinion if you are ever going to hauling 500 gallons ( I do!) you will need the tandem 5000 lb axles. Think about it. 500 gal = 4000 lbs my skid weighs a 1000 lbs and my chem tank could carry 1000 lbs plus equipment and a barrel plus the weight of the trailer. Mine is an 18' and I have an very long wheel base truck (8ft bed and ex cab) yes it canget tight in cul de sacs but I am happy with the 18 ft trlr.

33tnyh0.jpg

Pat you make great point about wieght and equipment alot people get thinking about the weight water but for get about the tank and the equipment.

20' trailer will start getting hard to manuver in residential areas. Especially in culdesacs and other dead ends. When you fingure the length of the trailer and then the truck you are at 40'.

+1 I run a 7x14 enclosed. 16' would be max for me in Ca., too many tight turns etc.

Hey guys Im going to be buying a trailer within the next few weeks and i just wanted to know what the biggest trailer I can pull without reaching a point of diminishing returns. i.e. when will the trailer become too big so that the storage space doesn't benefit as much as getting into small places.

I am looking at enclosed trailers and it looks like the smallest i could get away with is a 7x14 tandem, however I am seeing 8x20 tandems for around the same price. I just want to know if an 8x20 is too big? I want to be able to do parking garages and drive throughs with water recovery and I just dont want the trailer being the thing that holds me back from getting large jobs.

I dont forsee weight being an issue, the truck is a chevy 2500 longbed with 4.10 rear and is wired for brakes. Also the trailer will have 550gallons of water in it MAX, and then all the equipment for surface cleaning and recovery. Does this all sound within limitis? The axles are 3500lbs each on the smaller trailers and then 5000lbs each on the larger ones.

Thanks for any help, Im just trying to see some of the things I am missing.

Be careful of the height if you are working in parking garages. This can be as much of an issue as the length. Keep your unit maneuverable. For enclosed trailers you may want to consider having doors on both sides as well as the back.

A lot of parking garages have a maximum height of 6' to 6' 5" so take that into consideration, a lot of enclosed trailers won't make it in there also going up the ramps, hard to do with the longer trailers.

There are pro's and con's to both the open and enclosed trailers, this has been talked about many times on all the bbs's out there.

You need to see how long of a trailer you can fit where you are going to park it at and go from there. Remember that the trailer length is the bed, you have to add about 4'+ for the tongue of the trailer also.