Sign in to follow this  
Bennyhonda

Wiring an electric hose reel.

Anyone care to share some tips on how to wire the electric hose reels to a power source? I have two elec reels that I purchased second hand and I plan to wire them directly to the pressure washer's battery. They each have a 1/3 HP DC 12 volt motor.

At the moment, it looks as if someone downgraded to a motorcycle battery on the pw unit so I will have to invest in a nice marine batt straight away.

My initial concern was that the reels would be used at the end of a job when the pressure washer would be turned off with no way of recharging the battery. After reeling in 400" of hose, do you think that the charge wire from the trailer hitch would be enough to resupply the battery on the drive home? I've heard with this method, it's a good idea to swap out the entire charging cable with a larger diameter wire in order to get enough watts back to the trailer battery. Also necessary is a battery isolator so the trailer batt never discharges the truck battery.

I've also thought about a 5w solar charger with a battery minder to turn it off when fully charged. Is that enough power? (btw, I'm in oregon and the winters here are pretty overcast)

The other thing that confuses me is the relay/solenoid system that came with the (second hand) reels. What wires go where? Would I need a solenoid for this for this system?

Lastly, I've seen winches with remote controls and I though this would be a nice addition to the reels (no bending over). Is it possible to rig one remote to run each reel independently, with a power switch box or something similar? Pierce Sales Waterproof Remote Winch Control | Winch Remotes | Northern Tool + Equipment

Thanks for the advice.

Looks you got your answer but maybe I can help you on the battery. I have a newer cabin crusier with a Chevy engine and replace the batteries every two years. I have found the best price for marine gel cells are at Auto Zone. I don't know if you have those auto part stores out west but they do have the best prices for deep cell marine batteries. Hope that helps. Rick.

I have both of my Hannay reels connected to 1 of my skids batteries. Didn't see a need to wire each to a separate battery since I would only be using 1 reel at a time. Never had a problem with battery drain. I do reduce the stress on the reels by straightening out all 300' of hose, then looping it in 100' sections near the trailer, always with the ball valve and coupler at the trailer. I've made it perfectly clear I ever catch an employee dragging my ball valves/couplers on the ground their jobs are in jeopardy.