Sign in to follow this  
Richard

House Strip

Question

This is a 124 year old house. Made of compressed brick. Has a few coats of paint on it as well as turn of the last century pollution. I'm going to use Prosoco stripper and neutralizer.

Anyone with any experiance ??? Any advise???

post-1675-137772259156_thumb.jpg

post-1675-137772259202_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Richard,

Give Roger a call - here is one we did last fall/winter. 200 year old brick with about 6 layers of paint. Diedrich's product was the best one we used and we did use them all!

post-7285-137772259249_thumb.jpg

post-7285-13777225926_thumb.jpg

I'll second the pita factor for milk paint - who'd have thunk that casein proteins have the sticking power of crazy glue?!?!

Diedrich is some nice product - really potent stuff. If you put a burm and collection tarps around the home - all you do is pressure wash the stuff off and collect the stuff off the ground - and then package it up and throw it away - no need to worry about fine lead particulate getting into the air.

That was exactly how we did that job - we bermed the area - used

tarping to protect the sidewalk with an additional layer of landscaping fabric (liquids pass through but stupid paint chips don't!) We were able to continue using the tarping and simply discarded the landscaping fabric with the paint chips & endless blobs of paint/stripper snot.

This will be an incredibly rewarding job Rich - take LOTS of photos throughout the process :)

Good Luck!

Celeste

The last time I talked/called Roger you were out with the kid(s), he was playing video games on the big screen and we talked about beer. LOL

I'd really like to talk again. Maybe I'll take that offer up.

It's going to be a specialty airless to put something that thick & goopy up - Bob Port at Restoration Direct could fix you right up - Roger says it's almost like a hopper gun. We rolled ours then put the plastic over it.

Other things to consider on this job if it is in a public access area - There are seriously stupid people out there. This product will burn the skin off of you so even if you post DO NOT TOUCH - some idiot will. Even when you're rinsing, some is still pretty hot so be careful. We were working in cold temps so barefoot or barearm folk were not a concern.

We're home all day today and any evening is fine to call :)

I got hit by lightening when I was ten. I'm not a big fan of electrical to begin with. This will have me doing a little research tomorrow.

I'm considering scafolding and tenting the front and right side. I'm not doing the back, and only 8 ft. of the left side.

It has to be started by end of this week. The new windows are coming. There is an excavator there in the back and 15 ft of wall is basicaly unaccesable at this point. A boom (genie) would be better for that area, but $$$$. It certainly has some logistical problems.

post-1675-137772259594_thumb.jpg

Richard,

Give Roger a call - here is one we did last fall/winter. 200 year old brick with about 6 layers of paint. Diedrich's product was the best one we used and we did use them all!

Wow...looks fantastic!!!