Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

People to People Student Ambassador!

Question

Our Hannah, rising 9th grader, has been chosen this year to participate in the People to People Student Ambassador Program!! She will travel & study next summer in Italy, Sicily & Greece (I am sooo jealous!)!

(Everyone watch your mailboxes soon for sponsorship requests :) )

She is enormously excited as are we! This is very cool!

11 answers to this question

Celeste,

Insist on being a chaperon!

You could probably get PAID for it too! Woohooo!

We're definitely looking into how that might work :) I can't think of a better way to spend a summer with my daughter!

I have never been to Greece (it's on the wish list) but spent 6 weeks in Italy when I was about 13 years old. It was wonderful. There is so much to the Italian culture, and an incredible amount of art, architecture and history. The food....doesn't suck either, and you will understand what REAL Italian food is when you get back, compared to what you get here in the states. NOT the same.....

How long is her trip? How long in each of the two countries? How many cities in each?

Beth

We're going to a meeting next month but from what I've read - trip is 19 days and below is the tentative itenerary and some of the highlights:

Rome, Italy

• Step into the Colosseum and imagine the spectacles that millions watched within its walls.
  • Walk through the ancient ruins of the Forum and learn about this heart of the city in the time of the emperors.
  • Explore the Vatican, home to the Pope and the world’s largest cathedral.
  • Examine Michelangelo’s brilliant Sistine Chapel masterpiece.
  • Toss a coin into the legendary Trevi Fountain.
  • Go deep into Roman history in the secret catacombs.

Naples, Italy

• Walk through the once-affluent city of Pompeii, and observe what remained in the wake of the volcano that destroyed the city in A.D. 79.
  • Board an overnight ferry to Palermo, Sicily.

Palermo, Italy

• Stroll through Palermo, whose mixture of buildings makes it a veritable museum of architecture.
  • Explore the government center, housed in the ancient Palazzo Reale.
  • Toss a pizza pie with the help of professional chefs.
  • Visit the San Giovanni degli Eremiti church, which has served as a house of worship for both Christians and Muslims.

Segesta, Italy

• This city boasts some of the most impressive Greek ruins outside of Greece, including a 5th-century classical temple and amphitheater.
  • Train at the hands of a Sicilian potter and then create your own masterpiece.

Erice, Italy

• Understand Sicily’s medieval roots in this hilltop town.
  • Explore ancient castles, including one built on the ruins of a Roman temple.

Taormina, Italy

• Explore this beautiful terraced town and its series of small medieval palaces.

Mount Etna, Italy

• Hike on the slopes of this active volcano, where the Romans believed the god Vulcan forged his metalwork.
  • Learn from experts about the mountain’s 2003 eruption.

Bari, Italy

• Enjoy an overnight ferry ride to Patras. Ferries regularly bear travelers to Greece—appropriate for the city whose name (from the Greek) originally meant “burden”!

Patras, Greece

• Launch your discovery of Greece from Patras, the country’s third largest city.

Olympia, Greece

• Explore the relics of the original Olympic Games, held here in 776 B.C.
  • View the Canal of Corinth, an engineering marvel.

Athens, Greece

• Experience the Acropolis, built in the 5th century B.C.
  • Stand in the famous Parthenon, once home to a 40-foot statue of the goddess Athena.

Crete, Greece

• Enjoy the contrasts of Crete’s capital city, Heraklion, which bears evidence of both Muslim and Italian occupation.
  • Explore the spectacular Palace at Knossos, center of the Minoan civilization.
  • Descend into the Dictaean Caves, where the god Zeus is said to have been born.

Note: Highlights featured represent past programs. Your program may differ slightly in some areas due to scheduling conflicts, unforeseen changes, and the arrival of new opportunities. Your program’s Schedule of Activities will be provided as confirmed, closer to actual travel.

People to People Moments

• Receive an Ambassadorial welcome from a European official.
  • Meet with a priest or monk in Italy to learn what life is really like inside a monastery.

Enhance Your Education

Ambassadors on this program will earn special insights into:

• Renaissance art and architecture
  • World War II history
  • History and architecture of the Roman Empire and ancient Greece
  • Geology
  • Medieval history
  • Intercultural studies

SAP-Top-Program-Activities.jpgTop Program Activities

• Take your artistic appreciation to new heights as you admire the famous Sistine Chapel ceiling.
  • Understand why the beauty and order of ancient Greece continues to influence the world as you walk the ruins of the Acropolis.
  • Explore medieval palaces and ancient Moorish mosques.
  • Study an active volcano at Mount Etna.
  • Help citizens protect endangered sea turtles near Athens.
  • Get hands-on lessons in making traditional Sicilian pottery and pizza.
  • Stroll through the Forum and visit the Colosseum like the ancient Romans.
  • Take a dip in the warm Mediterranean off of Sicily.

Edited by CarolinaProWash

We're definitely looking into how that might work :) I can't think of a better way to spend a summer with my daughter!

I just want to say I can picture Celeste walking around the Colosseum, cig in her mouth, asking who the contact person is to clean all that dirty marble:winkanim: