Sign in to follow this  
mrmichaeljmoore

UPDATED pictures of my deck

You bought a wood that can not except a sealer. Trying to make a sealer last longer than a year or putting a sealer on the will stick longer than a year causes more problems. Your dissatisfaction with Penofin was not the sealers fault.

I am a bit confused by your comment, Jim.

The Penofin began to fail after about 2 months, even after I had peformed proper preparation and application. I would expect any IPE stain/oil/sealer to last longer than 2 months.

I have no issue with annual maintenance. I knew that when I installed the IPE.

I am a bit confused by your comment, Jim.

The Penofin began to fail after about 2 months, even after I had peformed proper preparation and application. I would expect any IPE stain/oil/sealer to last longer than 2 months.

I have no issue with annual maintenance. I knew that when I installed the IPE.

Mike,

Unless you applied the Penofin for Hardwoods to your ipe' 3 times in the first year, you did not perform "proper" application. Per their instructions, for their product on hardwoods, Penofin states that after initial application, Repeat this application within 3-6 months and again within 10-12 months.

For more info, go to: Application of Exterior Penofin | Penofin Penetrating Oil Finishes and Wood Stain

Rick --

I hear you on what the label says......I don't want to split hairs with you....because I truly respect your opinion/expertise, but I would argue that the stain never made it to the 3-6 month period for the repeat application. It degraded significantly by the second month. That was my dissatisfaction...

mike

Mike,

Unless you applied the Penofin for Hardwoods to your ipe' 3 times in the first year, you did not perform "proper" application. Per their instructions, for their product on hardwoods, Penofin states that after initial application, Repeat this application within 3-6 months and again within 10-12 months.

For more info, go to: Application of Exterior Penofin | Penofin Penetrating Oil Finishes and Wood Stain

Mike , I do not know anyone who is not confused with Upe. It is the most mis- understood wood used for decks. Sealing companies make product for a wood they really don't understand but they do understand no product will last so in that regard I guess there smart ( lots of repeat biz) . Most people apply product too soon, then some over prep the wood (sand the crap out of it), don't follow the directions, over apply product. Paint stores, lumber companies, deck builder give horrible advice. I have been to too many decks that people have tried 4 or 5 products already.

The last couple of years have been terrible for a wood like Upe. Rain and lots of will decrease the life of a finish on Upe. The more rain we have the more mildew you'll get. Upe gets dirtier than other woods and holds the dirt. So what usually looks like a failed finish is dirt and mildew on top of the finish.

I went to do a maintenance yesterday an a PT deck and it was in awesome condition so I said lets skip it. Went to do a Upe and it looked horrible but it was only very dirty. A lite bleaching made it look great !

I know this is a dumb question, What does IPE, UPE, PT stand for?

I have read this whole thread and don't know what type of wood this is...:o

Is PT, pressure Treated?

I know this is a dumb question, What does IPE, UPE, PT stand for?

I have read this whole thread and don't know what type of wood this is...:o

Is PT, pressure Treated?

IPE is a Brazilian hardwood.

UPE is Jame's "nickname" for IPE.....short for "You-Pay"

PT is pressure treated.