Sign in to follow this  
all florida

what over steps the line as a biz owner with fellow contractors

Question

i just wanted to find out what do you do to get biz say from a fellow contractor in the same field would you go as far as putting your website address on there company internet post or has this over stepped the line? do you follow there trucks taking photo,s of there staff and also try and talk to there staff with a tape recorder in your hand? its not the things i do but we have had it done on a number of occasions i will not mention the persons name but when they read this they will know who they are! last but least maybe this has also happened to you? i think its very sad as we are all grownups with familys just trying to make a living theres enough work out there for everyone!

4 answers to this question

I have never followed a competitor around. I have stopped to watch from time to time if I see them washing and have talked to their employees to see what they may be doing different but that is all. Never have I intentionally gone after a competitors work or made any attempt to sabotage them. Likewise most of the contractors in my area are the same and treat each other with the equal respect. Business is business and occasionaly we may loose a job to one another but that is the way it goes sometimes.

There is a lot of work out there if you are willing to get it, messing with your competition is not the way to go. If we want to be seen as a professional trade we need to conduct our business in a manner that shows we are professionals. You don't hear about plumbers and electricians playing games like that...

Oh yes please fill out your signature.

Edited by Paul Kassander

No I have never done any of the things you listed or had anyone do them to me. I think as a whole all the local contractors get along in my area.

I meet a local contractor at the Tampa RT, David owner of High Tide and he's a great guy. I look forward to talking with him and seeing what works for him and sharing what works well for me.