Sign in to follow this  
Visionzlandscapes

seals/stains

Question

10 answers to this question

Okay, I'm going to be the PITA member here that says the dreaded "Use the search feature" There is a ridiculous number of posts on every topic you have asked about. We've all typed it more than once so it is there if you just look.

Daniel,

When we refer to a "Search" we don't mean Google it. Use the search button at the top of this site and search this forum for the answers. Also, if you even say the word "Thompson's" on here, you'll get nothing from anyone who has a clue what they're doing. Just trying to help you in the right direction....

Hey man, at Lowes they sell a 7" pad applicator. shur-line is the brand. It comes with a red handle and refill pads. For the railings you can ether use the pad or rag or staining mitt. If our going to spray then you have to cover everything with plastic. carry a spray bottle of mineral spirits and a clean rag. If you get it on the house spray it on and wipe it off. Makes the cleanup easy.

Dane

I'm still doing the thompsons water seal. That will become an option to what the customer can afford. There are better water seals. How I apply it is with an airless sprayer. Not a cheap one it cost 600 bucks. Made by greyco you can get it at the depot.

Hey man, at Lowes they sell a 7" pad applicator. shur-line is the brand. It comes with a red handle and refill pads. For the railings you can ether use the pad or rag or staining mitt. If our going to spray then you have to cover everything with plastic. carry a spray bottle of mineral spirits and a clean rag. If you get it on the house spray it on and wipe it off. Makes the cleanup easy.

Dane

Swansboro!!! I lived in Morehead!!! Whats up man!!!

Daniel,

When we refer to a "Search" we don't mean Google it. Use the search button at the top of this site and search this forum for the answers. Also, if you even say the word "Thompson's" on here, you'll get nothing from anyone who has a clue what they're doing. Just trying to help you in the right direction....

It takes alot of time man. Get into them old threads.... before you know it 5 hours went by, but worth it!

A pump up sprayer has been the beginnings of many.

Some use HVLP sprayers like deckers or decksters

Others use paint sprayers.

Rod!~

Hey Rod how come I'm gettin so much flack for using a pump up sprayer for roofs? LOL! Cant afford what I know what I need yet?

Hey Rod how come I'm gettin so much flack for using a pump up sprayer for roofs? LOL! Cant afford what I know what I need yet?

Perhaps some have forgotten where they came from and what it took to get to where they are now or perhaps maybe they had the money to just bypass all the start up stuff and go straight for the professional equipment. IDK, but I can remember one of the funniest times I ever had was an impromptu race to seal a deck by a neighbor (asian of some decent). Decks were pretty much the same in size from the footprint that I could tell.

The guy was already in the process when I arrived and started setting up next door (townhouse configuration). Well, I loaded up a pump up sprayer and started applying. The guy comes over and in a thickly asian accent asks;

"what that? Pumpup? Hah! pumpup hahaha...me use rolla (roller)" I just shrugged my shoulders and smiled and went back to work.

Well, a little while later, the wife came into service and they are running all over the deck applying what looked like a Behr stain (almost orange and semi transparent).

You know the saying, slow and steady wins the race? I was applying to the spindles and back padding also using a spray shield cause it was a little windy and making steady progress applying a solid Duron Maxwood brown stain the customer had ordered.

A couple hours later, I was wrapping up and looked to see how far the neighbor had gotten, he and his wife went inside and still hadn't finished the rails for the steps or the stairs themselves. The outside of the spindles were not done and the guy was looking out at me and he and the wife were bickering inside.

Hah! pumpup! i won.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod