Sign in to follow this  
gtitan56v8

My Honda's pull cord is stuck...

Hey guys, I have a 13 hp honda, about 3 months old, and I havent used it in a month or so. I tried starting it and the pull cord is locked up. I know this isnt a pressure problem (squeeze the trigger thing, I have a ball valve) so I am trying to figure out what has froze up.

Any suggestions? I dont have time to get it in the shop right now.

Thanks

First couple things I'd try would be trying to manually turn the engine shaft,...easily though.

Pull the spark plug and see if that does anything.

Jeff

Pull the spark plug and see if that does anything.

Jeff

That would be my first step. If the carb has leaked any gas into the cylinder, it'll dead head on the compression stroke. Pull the plug, make sure the switch is off, and rapidly pull the cord 5 or 6 times to blow the gas out.

If that is the problem, I would also change the oil! The gas can leak past the rings sometimes in those motors and get in the oil.

Try and remember to turn the gas off after every use and it won't happen again.

This is something I've never come accross. Its usually the pressure??? You released the pressure...

After 1 or 2 tries pulling the cord it builds back up and you cant pull the cord again

Edited by gutterdog

Hey guys. Thanks for all the good ideas.

I have made sure there is no pressure in the pump, just disconnected the discharge hose entirely, turned the ignition switch off, pulled the spark plug, took off the pull cord and tried manually turning the engine with no luck. I can turn the shaft reverse clockwise but it wont budge going clockwise.

Any other ideas?

take off your pull cord assembly

take apart the assembly and check your recoil spring that controls the recoil of your pulls.. this spring or better yet coil.. can become twisted or not in the right postion to allow to you pull smoothly or at all with recoil