Sign in to follow this  
ValleyPressureWashing

New Deck and Fence Staining (30-60 days)

Question

I talked to a contractor today who informed me that they are requiring their customers to have the new decks and fences stained within 30-60 days of completion or they will not warranty them. I had always been told that you need to wait 3 to 6 months before you stain new wood. The contractor told me that the wood curing method and formula that the lumber plants are using has changed. Are any of you hearing this? Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Nothing has changed other than pressure treated lumber being even harder to get to absorb stain. I do agree with getting a finish on it before 60 days though. That includes all soft wood species. Even if a finish won't hold up aesthetically, its the lesser evil of wet/dry cycles.

Todd, you'll get varying opinions. If you can let it weather for six weeks that gives you a little bit of a head start. You should still clean and prep new construction. If you know your chemicals, that will help as well.

The only thing that absorbs into new pressure treated is that cretowood stuff that scott sells. I am experimenting with it.

This may be true for linseed oil stains. It is not true for paraffin oil stains. We have used both Ready Seal and ESI's TimberOil stains on new pressure treated the past few years. Both penetrated well, at ~ 125 sq. ft. per gallon coverage.