Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Nano-technology question for Scott/OPW

Question

Scott, Savers Systems/Defy has a nano-technology stain and it isn't listed on your store. I have a difficult customer that wants the most natural look possible yet retain durability - I figure this product is my last hope of meeting her expectations. The problem is I went to the only local dealer near me that carries it, including tax it cost me $53/gallon.

Will you be able to carry this product for a cheaper price? If it's true the average coverage that's displayed on the side of the can is only 100-150 SF for 2 wet on wet coats. The this is potentially a very very expensive product to use. Keeping materials at 15% of total cost implies that 300 SF of decking should be billed at $1,000!!!!!!!!!

7 answers to this question

Scott, Savers Systems/Defy has a nano-technology stain and it isn't listed on your store. I have a difficult customer that wants the most natural look possible yet retain durability - I figure this product is my last hope of meeting her expectations. The problem is I went to the only local dealer near me that carries it, including tax it cost me $53/gallon.

Will you be able to carry this product for a cheaper price? If it's true the average coverage that's displayed on the side of the can is only 100-150 SF for 2 wet on wet coats. The this is potentially a very very expensive product to use. Keeping materials at 15% of total cost implies that 300 SF of decking should be billed at $1,000!!!!!!!!!

It is available on our HO store but I have yet to add it to the contractor site. It comes in a clear:

Defy Extreme Wood Stain | Defy Wood Deck & Concrete Products | The Sealer Store

and a Cedar Tone color(singles only):

Defy Extreme Cedar 1 Gallon | The Sealer Store

Spring 2010 will have a full line of colors and sizes. I will add it to the pro site this winter. If you need some this fall give a call and I will work on the price for you. In addition I helped Defy setup the Extreme line so if you have any questions feel free to give me a call.

I have a difficult customer that wants the most natural look possible yet retain durability - I figure this product is my last hope of meeting her expectations. The problem is I went to the only local dealer near me that carries it, including tax it cost me $53/gallon.

I hate to the ones who want the cadillac for the vw price. They are looking to get something to last for a long time and yet the problem is in maintenance. Make sure the product doesn't color shift from UV exposure.

My last experience with DEFY was with the epoxy fortified formula and it caused the wood to turn dark where it's surface components weathered off. Had to sand it all off to get to pristine wood and reapply. Hope they have improved the formula on nano-tech to prevent this issue.

We use a number of products that take a wet/wet application, and the 2nd application is approximately 50% of the first coat. Given that you could expect to use on a 300sqft deck-125sqft/gal first coat = 2.4 gallons

The 2nd coat should get you around 200sqft/gal = 1.5 gallons which sums it to 3.9 gallons. round up to 4 gallons and you are looking at 212.00 + tax.

Now, I gotta ask; do they carry it in a 5'er and is the price better on that size vs the single gallon?

My next question is, how long is this product supposed to last? what are the maintenance requirements? will it accept itself on future coats without stripping....wet/wet applications sometimes bare this problem due to molecular adhesion conditions which are determined by the state of the cure.

Will the customer keep the required regimen for this product or are they likely to skip a couple of years. When I get the "I want it to last" comments means they are doing this only as a last resort and usually only as minimally necessary.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

How did you help set up the extreme line?
I introduced Defy to Nanophase Technologies about 2 years ago. They make the nano sized zinc oxide particles that "reflects" the uv rays. I have also helped test the product for the last year and a half.

We use a number of products that take a wet/wet application, and the 2nd application is approximately 50% of the first coat. Given that you could expect to use on a 300sqft deck-125sqft/gal first coat = 2.4 gallons

The 2nd coat should get you around 200sqft/gal = 1.5 gallons which sums it to 3.9 gallons. round up to 4 gallons and you are looking at 212.00 + tax.

Now, I gotta ask; do they carry it in a 5'er and is the price better on that size vs the single gallon? They carry the Clear in 5's and will have all colors in 5's next season. It is priced better in the pails.

My next question is, how long is this product supposed to last? Couple of years or longer what are the maintenance requirements? will it accept itself on future coats without stripping It can be cleaned and recoated....wet/wet applications sometimes bare this problem due to molecular adhesion conditions which are determined by the state of the cure.

Will the customer keep the required regimen for this product or are they likely to skip a couple of years. When I get the "I want it to last" comments means they are doing this only as a last resort and usually only as minimally necessary.

Rod!~

The Defy Extreme line is by far the best water based line I have seen as far as color retention, penetration, and overall performance. Here is a picture of test results:

post-948-137772277219_thumb.jpg