Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Professionalism and building customer relationships

Thanks to Fenner, I have a different mentality now with clients. Lately I have been 'eating' a few type handyman jobs. But now I look at it as a learning experience on how to make clients happy - or at least better educate them in the future what it will take to make them happy and the ensuing price tag to meet their expectations.

In the past I would have blown up as I saw my profits dwindle into nothing and created bad blood. But now I realize that the responsibility of how jobs are conducted rests on our shoulders and homeowners simply don't know. And that I have to be better at building 'systems' to anticipate this and price it into my price structure. And have a marketing model in place to ensure enough leads to procure the amount of work I need.

In short - I took things very personally - but now I am more detached and analytical. Because of this detachment and adherence to some of my pricing models - I am able to consistently deliver well priced proposals and count on a certain winning percentage - where as my competition is all over the map. I win some jobs just because I am actually cheaper at my SF rate pricing! But that's because I am adhering strongly to my pricing model - and this allows me to concentrate on customers relationships and future work.