Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Another reason I like A.C. stain

Question

I like to give fat warrantees to homeowners - and that means not skimping out on the stain. What I like most about A.C. - is that I can fill wood with so much stain, that it's even still puddling when I leave the job. And unlike other stains - that puddling doesn't turn into the the 'shinies'. It eventually gets all absorbed. And what I like further about the wood - even after it's formed it's 'cap' of hardened siccative oil/alkyds, below it is still the 'juicy' parafinnic oils occupying the voids of the dried wood. So even if the finish up top cracks and eventually leads to micro ingresses of moisture - the wood is still going to bounce moisture right out. This is further insurance that mildew isn't going to take hold underneath the finish like another product I know.

Nothing lasts forever - but I feel this is the best 'recipe' so far for wood restoration business. Now I am not going to argue with other crowds about the superior technical aspects of preserving wood like 100% parafinnic type stains. I am not talking about what is best for the wood itself, I am talking about the perfect comprimise of durability, looks, preservation value, customer satisfaction, ease of use, and general ability to systemize a high output business and maintain a loyal customer base.

Personally I think this stain will give the average consumer a good 3 years of use before maintenance - only because you can flush more of this stain into the wood than any other stain I've ever used. A competitor of mine got wise to this stain before I did - and he has a deck/front porch right along a semi-major highway, it will be 2 years old this coming spring - right now it still looks as good as the day it was put on. I like this model because most of my customers think 2 years is like yesterday - 2 years between me coming back is still too short of time in their opinion - obviously this excludes hardwoods.

4 answers to this question

Nothing lasts forever - but I feel this is the best 'recipe' so far for wood restoration business. Now I am not going to argue with other crowds about the superior technical aspects of preserving wood like 100% parafinnic type stains. I am not talking about what is best for the wood itself, I am talking about the perfect comprimise of durability, looks, preservation value, customer satisfaction, ease of use, and general ability to systemize a high output business and maintain a loyal customer base.

A perfect summation.

Good post.....but your thought of a deck lasting for 3yrs is a crack dream. I've never---and never expect to---seen a deck floor look great past about 1.5yrs.

I never equated lasting with looking great. It's just for most folks the deck looks alright at yr. #2 - it isn't grey, with a quick bleach clean looks respectable. I am saying at year 3 is when they decide to have it done, that it does look bad at that point. At which point I am not selling maintenance but an entire restoration. And the way A.C. applies - I bet you could even get away with a maintenance coat after a heavy duty TSP/Bleach wash, even at year #3.