Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

Removing acrylic

Question

I made the mistake of quoting a deck strip earlier this year that has a solid finish on it. The customer called yesterday and wants it done. I now suspect that it is acrylic. It is not too big an area but I need some opinions on the best way to remove it without taking all day to do it. I have read about boosting strippers with glycol. Any input is greatly appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Glycol will definitely help. Worst case scenario, you may need a gel type stripper like Jasco, or similar. If the finish is pretty much gone, apply your regular stripper full strength with some glycol (10:1 works well for me), and a long dwell. Sanding / buffing / defelting will be necessary.

A solid acrylic will often require 2-4 strips with incredibly strong stripper that will also mar siding, remove paint from metal and kill every plant within spitting distance. Follow that with 3-5 hours of sanding and you may be lucky to get 85% of it removed.

Tell them you closed your business. I'm kidding of course dou and what I said above is the worst case scenario but unfortunately, its not rare. If the stain is intact (ie looks like a paint finish without a ton of peeling and flaking) you are in for a good time. I have charged $5 per s/f (as in $10 per s/f of floor measurement) and lost money on these types of jobs.

Here is one we did this season. Stripped it once and little came off. Second round we turned up the heat and despite soaking down the back of the house, we had to repaint the door, trim and two windows. About three hours went into sanding this little deck.

solid_stain1.jpg

cleaned_buffed.jpg

Stained with Armstrong Clarke Cedar Semi Trans

10days_later.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. The deck in the pics looks great Ken. I am thinking of going back out there and testing the finish with some denatured alcohol to be sure its latex. If that's the case I may just have to tell the homeowner what all is going to be involved and walk away or renegotiate the deal. The finish was not in bad shape.

A solid acrylic will often require 2-4 strips with incredibly strong stripper that will also mar siding, remove paint from metal and kill every plant within spitting distance. Follow that with 3-5 hours of sanding and you may be lucky to get 85% of it removed.

Tell them you closed your business. I'm kidding of course dou and what I said above is the worst case scenario but unfortunately, its not rare. If the stain is intact (ie looks like a paint finish without a ton of peeling and flaking) you are in for a good time. I have charged $5 per s/f (as in $10 per s/f of floor measurement) and lost money on these types of jobs.

Here is one we did this season. Stripped it once and little came off. Second round we turned up the heat and despite soaking down the back of the house, we had to repaint the door, trim and two windows. About three hours went into sanding this little deck.

solid_stain1.jpg

cleaned_buffed.jpg

Stained with Armstrong Clarke Cedar Semi Trans

10days_later.jpg

Three hours sanding? I would have guessed much longer. The deck looks Great!

Thanks, Andy.

There is a set of steps going up to the back door that is not visible in the picture. That three hours is after spending 5 hours on multiple chemical strips.. two major ones and and another spot application. That's two guys, one using a random orbital, one using an osborne brush. Those clear cedar spindles were tore up. Many of them had to "bishop" sanded by hand. That's what we call it anyway.

I won't touch a deck this size with a solid acrylic for less than $2500. Most people tell me to go pound sand. The ones that will pay, we'll do them.