Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Thickening agents

Question

Can anyone give me pointers on good thickening agents to add to Sodium Hypochlorite? I have an application idea where I want the NaOCl to adhere to horizontal and vertical surfaces to give it dwell time. Also, would adding thickening agents reduce the effectiveness of the NaOCl?

Thanks.

10 answers to this question

Pete a good surfactant to look at is NP-9. It works well with NaOCl. A little goes a long way. A few ounces in a pail makes a clingy/soapy mixture. This works well for a house or building wash where the rinsing is easy. On a deck or roof, you have to use as little as you can or you will be rinsing forever and or filling gutters with suds.

NP-9 by The Chemistry Store.com Inc

Pete a good surfactant to look at is NP-9. It works well with NaOCl. A little goes a long way. A few ounces in a pail makes a clingy/soapy mixture. This works well for a house or building wash where the rinsing is easy. On a deck or roof, you have to use as little as you can or you will be rinsing forever and or filling gutters with suds.

NP-9 by The Chemistry Store.com Inc

Thanks Ken, I figured you'd be one of the responders to this. I've got an idea and, if it works, I think I can lock up a substantial amount of business.

If you need a 9 mole surfactant, I've got N 9.5 (same thing) that I can let you have for $15.00 / gallon.

Ken, next time you need raw materials, call me.

Edited by Russ Johnson

If you need a 9 mole surfactant, I've got N 9.5 (same thing) that I can let you have for $15.00 / gallon.

Ok Russ, care to explain what you are talking about? 9 mole, I've only got 3 living in the back yard.

I will Russ. Butyl, oxalic, sod hydroxide, and sodium metasilicate top the list.

Ok Russ, care to explain what you are talking about? 9 mole, I've only got 3 living in the back yard.

As it was explained to me, the "mole" rating involves the clarity at certain temps. A 14 mole stays clearer at lower temps than a 9 or 9.5. Doesn't affect the usage of either in formulating these kinds of detergents.

Thanks Ken, I figured you'd be one of the responders to this. I've got an idea and, if it works, I think I can lock up a substantial amount of business.
I read of a mixture rate at 1 gal. to 100 gal of water It will reduce the strength of SCH at a faster rate of time. So will most other additives IMO.

As it was explained to me, the "mole" rating involves the clarity at certain temps. A 14 mole stays clearer at lower temps than a 9 or 9.5. Doesn't affect the usage of either in formulating these kinds of detergents.

Thanks, always good to learn new things