Sign in to follow this  
sweetwaterfish

Softwash Deck

Question

8 answers to this question

Bleach does not belong on a pt deck.

Well I wouldn't go that far.... We do a LOT of PT pine with bleach, and it works fine. The best method when using bleach is multiple rinses (then rinse some more). I believe there was some discussion about something that neutralizes bleach (copper sulfide?? or something like that), but just plain rinsing works well.

Most everything in my area and price range would be just plain PT pine. At my old company, we always used choline at 20-30% and then just rinsed. I guess I misunderstood the abbreviations. So just to clarify, Ox does not neutralize bleach/chlorine?

Also where would I get Sodium Hydroxide in bulk?

Most everything in my area and price range would be just plain PT pine. At my old company, we always used choline at 20-30% and then just rinsed. I guess I misunderstood the abbreviations. So just to clarify, Ox does not neutralize bleach/chlorine?

Also where would I get Sodium Hydroxide in bulk?

I get it delivered in 100 pound bags from my Landa dealer. Ox does not neutralize bleach.

Sodium thiosulphate is a neutralizer for chlorine.

Not suitable for this application as the stuff contaminates ground water.

Use bleach for killing mildew and algae but use as part of a 3-step program to include a sodium hydroxide based cleaner to remove any remaining coating and then neutralize with citric or oxalic acid.

Rod!~

Some good information in this thread! This is a pic of a deck I soft washed with a mild stripper then oxalic acid. Then a seal. The teak furniture is next. Noone lived in this house for a few years. You shouldve seen it. Washed the house concrete pool brick chimney scrubbed the gutters n downspouts. everything!

004y052tshf.jpg

Edited by gutterdog