Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

Huge Deck/Dock Job : Need Help

Question

I have a very large deck and dock clean and seal job that I am to give a bid on. I do not have a lot of hands on experience with wood restoration just what I have picked up from this web forum and others like it, so a job of this size is somewhat intimadating.

The deck is PT wood and it was last cleaned and sealed three years ago and the owner said that they used Cuprinol (clear) to seal it. The total area to be cleaned and sealed is 4823 Sq. Ft. Many areas have of the deck have alot of mildew, fungus, etc. because of the heavy tree coverage, I suggested to the home owner that it be sealed with somthing such as Wood Tux Honey Gold and she said that would be great.

I have included some picures to give you an idea what we're looking at:

I was hoping that those of you that have a lot of wood restoration knowledge could spare a minute and give me some help on this one.

1)do you think that efc-38 would be an effective cleaner in this situation?

2)do you think I should use a brightener/neutrilzer?

3) I'm positive that I can not charge the rates for wood restoration in this area that some of you others can elsewhere, so, with that being said, what do you think I should price this one at?

4) I don't have all of the fancy equip. that some of you have, so I am planniing to use a pump up sprayer to apply the sealer, if I get the job. What kind of sprayer would you recomend for this kind of application?

5) because of the daily downpours we have been experiencing arould here, should I recomend postponing for a few weeks or longer until we have some dryer weather?

6) Because of the size of this job and all of the variables, should I consider turning away from this one?

Any input on this will be much appreciated.

Lance

7 answers to this question

I am sure others are more knowledgeable on this subject, but I believe that you will not be able to use any stripper or brightner since it is over water , legally that is. Most everyone I hear of use just water and pressure. But I could be wrong.

Lance,

Call DNR to find out what chemicals they will and will not allow around the water.

Judging by the size of the dock and decks,I would imagine the customer won't mind to have the job done right.

If you aren't sure you can handle a wood job this big walk away.

Also,underbidding will hurt your wallet,and leave a bad taste in your mouth for this kind of restoration.

What part of Jax. is this located in?

thanks for the replies and the info everybody

Squirt Gun, It is in Orange Park which borders the south end of Jacksonville.

Scott,

No its not the buckman bridge, but a good guess. Actually it is the Doctors Lake Bridge. The Buckman is just around the corner.

Lance