Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Mass economy coming back online

Here is a link to the herald

Bay State jobless rate falls to 8.9% - BostonHerald.com

Unemployment was at 9.3% in september in Massachusetts in october it dropped for the first time since June '07 to 8.9%. I feel as if the 'crest' has come and gone, the economy is on a slow road to recovery and we've seen the worst. Hopefully my opinions will soon be reinforced by positive data come 'black' friday - if indeed folks will be purchasing again. Although I have been able to maintain - it's tough watching friends who are use to running more traditional businesses watching them hardly able to make ends meat.

I won't go on a spending spree, but in fact that's what a good economy depends upon - that people spend their money. It's a slow feedback mechanism when folks start spending, then manufacturing has to increase productivity, which then spurs new job creation, which eventually begets new spending. All I want to see is a 0.2%-0.3% improvement each month. If that happens things will be slamming by next summer.

I guess Im making a big mistake! Ive put a few thousand into company in past 2 months I couldve saved. Going with my gut on this one! Hope I'm right!

I think its about momentum. Keep it going!

Don't go on a spending spree just yet, wait till feb and see what the results are of those who still have a job after the holidays.

Rod!~

Actually, now can be a good time to make some major purchases. Car companies and dealers are discounting to spur sales, and financing can be downright cheap. Just bought a new Tundra at 1.9% for 60 months.

Depending on the area of the country, housing is also on sale and mortgage rates are reasonable. Of course one must use diligence on the local market, economic prospects, location, etc., but the prospect for capital appreciation over the next 10 years or so is good.

There are going to be a lot of 1st time, or second home buyers that will be kicking themselves, sometime down the road, for not taking advantage of todays opportunities.

November unemployment figures are in for November for Massachusetts, we've gone from 9.3% unemployment in September to 8.9% in October - now we are down to 8.8% only a 0.10% downtick - but any downtick is a good thing. I'll take 0.10% per month any day of the week, that's 1.2% improvement per year - That's a real significant downtrend, maybe not fast enough for most, but I'll take it! Here is the report...

Workforce Development

I guess Im making a big mistake! Ive put a few thousand into company in past 2 months I couldve saved. Going with my gut on this one! Hope I'm right!

I think its about momentum. Keep it going!

Wasnt expecting the super cold temps to come so quick... I'll make it to spring.

Staying positive, Here is a saying I like. Its not about how hard you hit, It's about how hard you can get hit. AND get back up! (Rocky said that)

Best wishes for everyone in the new year 2010 coming up!!!

2010 is definitely going to be a much better year - and I am no pollyanna. It won't be a banner year for our economy - but at this point in time I think as contractors we're much more sensitive to improving business conditions than we are to absolute best economic conditions.