Sign in to follow this  
bornagainpw

Strange things

Hope all y'all had a good thanksgiving. Here is my problem. I have a 20hp belt driven 8gpm 2000 psi machine., just got it a few weeks ago and have had all necessary maintenance done. When I use it for about an hour it makes a weird grinding type noise when I let off the trigger. Sometimes it just doesn't give me any water/pressure and makes the grinding noise until I let go of the trigger. It will not make any of the noises though if I use a low pressure(x-jet) or no tip. I have no idea what's happening. I appreciate the help in advance.

Jason

What kind of belt drive do you have? If it is a timing belt style, it sounds like its slipping. It will make the pump sound like it's ready to come apart.

As said above, do you have enough water to supply the pump. Most houses cannot supply 8GPM through a direct hose connection. You will need a water tank to make up the difference!

Hope this might help!

I am using a 3/4 supply line coming from a tank. It is getting plenty of water but I just cant figure out what it is. I am thinking it is the belt because the other night I had an employee spill engine oil all over the belt cover, and if the oil somehow got on the belt it could be causing it to slip. Ill take a look at it and see.

I would think that a 3/4" hose for a 8GPM pump might be undersized. Is this a suction hose to keep it from collapsing? I run a 1 1/4" wire hose on mine to supply the pump. Just something to check!

Oil on the belt could cause alot of problems when the pump is loaded!