Sign in to follow this  
Jon

O rings prematurely wearing out.

I seem to be going though more O rings from the gun to the QC on my surface cleaner a night then I used to when I used a ball valve, any idea why?

I don't use a Y for the wand and gun on surface cleaner, I prefer to remove it and have more hose to use when rinsing since I do a large area at one time.

It is the O rings that keep wearing out, I am talking about 3 a night on average lately, just from the gun to QC, not from hose to gun.

Could it be poor fitting QC's? all are new and supposedly top of line stuff, never had this problem before.

Jon

If your gun is set up like my Giant below, then read the rest.

I had this problem for a while and never did know if it was the o rings or the qc's, but came up with this theory.

When using this setup, the o ring gets more wear from the twisting of the gun and the lance. I tried to twist it less, especially when under pressure and that has made a big difference.

There is a little wobble between the plug and the qc on both the wand and the SC, and that is what I believe caused it.

This the reason why I started this other thread.http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182

The bottom of the gun should have a q/c installed, not a plug. The flow of water should go into a q/c, not out of it.

Also, are you using the black or brown o-rings? The brown ones seem to be a little more resistant to heat and chems.

I have heard the theory of the qc vs plug and which way they go, but have never had a problem with the hose to gun. I have used maybe 5 o rings in the last year.

I read in the e-s[ec catalog that all plugs should be outgoing and the qc incoming except for the wand. I have been running my guns the way you see above for quite some time and the only problems I had was I used to use many o rings in one night,just like Jon, and after thinking about the twist factor, have cut that back by many. I was using the brown viton and they still got chewed or mashed up, as it is the wiggle and twist in the connection rather than the heat or chems.

Both ends have QC and not plugs. ( if I recall, would have to go check to be 100% sure.)

High heat should not be the problem or I would have had this same thing happening with the ball valve, right?

Couplings are NEW, 3 month old and even with my old ones never had problems.

Must be the O rings, they are black, not brown. But again I have used these same O rings for a couple years without problems.

So guys are we sticking with the answers from your post or is it something else?

Perhaps this might help, only the side of the O ring that the QC touchs as the plug goes into it is damaged, never the bottom of the O ring or the side the water is coming from.

Would like to try those Euro couplers but would have to change all my wands I use if I did that, rather expensive experiment if you ask me.

Jon

I bet your right too One Tough.

Still might consider trying those Euro couplings, would like to hear from others who use them and switch back and forth from wand to surface cleaner several times per job.

Jon

mosmatic swivel 3/8ths made of stainless

$36 1-800-346-4876

install it at the end of your pressure line.

You wont have to change O rings for a long time.

Euro couplers are good for somethings but not where you want to save time.