Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Almost didn't make it - whew!

Question

I was gambling in the back of my mind that my 28 footer would make it to the gutter line on the back of this home I did yesterday - just barely made it, and only because of the stabilizer holding it further away from the wall so I could more comfortably get around the gutter.

Right now I am doing all these gutter cleanings by myself. As a small company I never stocked ladders bigger than a 28 footer other than a 40 footer. A forty footer is a very inefficient tool to use if not needed for maximum heights - but with a helper it negates the absolute need for 32 and 36 foot ladders, when there is a need for it. And I hate owning extra ladders.

As well, since I am cleaning gutters by myself - I can't easily get a forty footer up by myself - it becomes a game changer if I need ladders bigger than 28 feet, and so far I have been just passing when they get really high. I don't feel like investing $300 for another ladder I won't need more than twice a year.

post-1720-137772289076_thumb.jpg

26 answers to this question

Brave, brave man.

Nah, I'm a ***** - I had my 24 footer on top of that deck resting along the gutter. That's a shed dormer roof with maybe a 2/12 pitch, it's so flat you could have a ballroom dance up there. But for some reason I was real winded and spooked to just get up on that roof that day and clean that gutter that way instead.

I don't know why, I've done tons of roofing with roofs as steep as 16/12 pitch. But I've learned to respect my intuition so I didn't get on the roof and instead just walked that 28 footer the entire length of the house.

Dan

Thanks for not backing your truck into they yard putting the ladder on it.

That is a case where the sky hook comes in crazy handy.

LOL - I had a buddy do that once, had to reach a 40 foot gable end with a 32 foot ladder. We parked the van right next to the garage doors and propped the ladder on top of his van roof and got to the peak that way - I footed the whole time. What a crazy dude he was!

Here's a queasy high ladder moment for you guys - later on, those ladder jacks got moved to the outsides of the ladders, and that pic was moved up at the same height as that 3rd story window sill, in order to scrap/prime everything up there.

post-1720-137772289278_thumb.jpg

Here's a queasy high ladder moment for you guys - later on, those ladder jacks got moved to the outsides of the ladders, and that pic was moved up at the same height as that 3rd story window sill, in order to scrap/prime everything up there.

That sign falls in the same category as the van. Very nice!:D

That sign falls in the same category as the van. Very nice!:D

That sign is responsible for about 60-70k in total sales, 30k in the first year alone, retired it by May '07 - I got the board free, already had the paint, stencils cost $10. What's the ROI on that?

What's the ROI on your marketing, Chris?

That sign is responsible for about 60-70k in total sales, 30k in the first year alone, retired it by May '07 - I got the board free, already had the paint, stencils cost $10. What's the ROI on that?

What's the ROI on your marketing, Chris?

Sorry Dan but I dont splash by business numbers around the internet. I think you have a pretty good sense about what kind of volume my company produces. Your happy working 3 days a month and *****ing on the internet about no work the other 28 day. Good for you.

Well that ends that, you have nothing else to say. Have a great year next year.

I will Dan .....I have work booked for three crews until spring and 8-10 crews when the snow melts. Thank you.

What brand?

How much?

Have a pic?

Werner aluminum, No pics but I'll try this weekend weather permitting.

$$, let me ask you first, interested in any other ones?

All werner: 24' alum, 20' fiberglass. 40' alum

I'll get all the model numbers tomorrow, but yes it is same width all the way. The 24', I think is the only one that MAY not be 1a or 1aa, I think

it is "commercial grade"

If we do anything you willing to meet half way? I'm guessing Springfield without looking at map.

$120 bucks in gas plus 4 hours of time at (according to Dan) $200 per hour = $920.00 for a used 24 ft ladder he could of bought for $200 new. Sweet deal. I hope the Mystery Machine can make it that far.

Edited by neps.us