Sign in to follow this  
RSuds

Networking

Does anyone network with other contractors to do the window cleaning, Gutters, Painter, Lawn Service, Stucco work, Deck repairs, Roof repairs ect? We do now but it is like "ya call this guy and he can take care of it". So what I would like to know is if anyone goes beyond that and has started another company or advertises together. I'm thinking of starting a company that will do Exterior Maintenance service for home owners that will have us networking with each others customers better. We can all advertise together and hit a lot more homes for a little cost. My gutter guy alone does around 5,000 houses a year and now when he bills them he will put my coupon in every bill. Same thing with all the others and Rolling Suds. I have gone to some of the other groups that get together for networking but I think that if it is just exterior services that I know it will work better. I would like to know who is doing this and what has worked.

Locally I am hooked up with a fencing contractor, a painter, a G.C., a handyman, and a few other PW contractors for "beyond" service areas or repairs that I don't want to smash my thumb on.

Networking. So far so good, kinda. some good some bad. I find it is best to network a guy that doesnt do same work as me (unless the job too big for where I'm at now). as far as adding or telling customer about your friends, network... This is what I have tried so far... I dropped it like a hot rock, couple years ago... The way I remembered what I did was In addition to passing customer my card I included other cards etc. The look on the customers face not good. Like I was shoving something down their throat theydidnt want, trying to rob them? It was aggressive networking.

Maybe a more passive way? subliminal? Ive had 2 contractors ask to be on the back of my envelopes next time I print them up. This might be an idea? Heres a pic of my envelopes. Plenty of room on the back for other contractors... Do they pay to be on the back or throw me a bone every now n then if hit off envelope? If not, then how I know they doin same for me?

Good thread! Along same thoughts. Networking does work. Her the pic of my envelopes starting out 2010 with!!! These are return envelopes to me.

post-5386-137772301452_thumb.jpg

Edited by gutterdog

'Nuther thing bout networking. Considering putting one contractor friend that rocks on my website to thank him for all what he's thrown me. I'll give him a whole page. Great guy, good friend! Weve been networking for 4-5 years now! Need to hang out with him for a day and take pics of his service. Put it all together for a nice page layout! We been throwing it around. Hes given me more work than I've been able to give him. Should be a good way to reciprocate? a subliminal way? I passed his card out with mine before. Thats outbound. Inbound is better and cheaper!