Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Feel like moving

Question

I have had an itch to move away from California, and the wife feels the same. Question is on where to go. My sister lives in Orlando and says it is a good place. Lots of green stuff to wash in her neighborhood.

Not really sure where I want to go. Anyone live somewhere that is in need of Commercial flatwork? I am not well versed on Housewashing, or Woodcare, as their is no market for it in my area. I can always learn if that is what pays the bills.

Have rig will travel.

38 answers to this question

The list changes from time to time, but currently:

#1 Kiera Knightley (whew, man!!! You Brits sure know how to breed your women!)

#2 Nicole Kidman

#3 Faith Hill

#4 Daniela Pestova

#5 Charlize Theron

#6 Rebecca Romijn-Stamos

#7 Jessica Simpson

#8 Condoleeza Rice

#9 Emily Gimmel

#10 Naomi Watts

And, if she were older than 17, I would have USA Olympic Judo competitor Rhonda Rousey in there somewhere.

Oh, and of course, these are the top 10 runners up...my wife is numero uno above any of them.

Ryan make #2 go away and send me #5.

All others you can have.

Hey I thought you said you would be off line for awhile, to much fun here to shut down?

Rod, very true, am having fun, I mean if you can't have fun while working why work?

Oh yeah forget to earn money to support the wife!

Alan I would see of Bozobush would carry back the loan oh his business, can't be that much involved!

Alan

I know how you feel.We have been thinking of moving for a while now.We have been thinking about the Carolina's,or maybe Vegas or Reno.The thought of moving ,especially far away is almost overwhelming.It's a catch 22,low cost of living-lower prices people will pay,great year round weather- tons of competition,with cut throat pricing,with many home depot equipment warriors looking to make beer money .I love the ocean,I grew up spending alot of time at the NJ shore,but home prices near the ocean are insane.I also love the mountains,flyfishing is a passion of mine,I spent alot of time in the Catskill mountains in ny state,but the economy is not too great there and the business opportunities are a little sparse.We were moving to Colorado about 5 years ago when we sold a restaurant we owned in North Jersey,but ended up buying a Restaurant here in NE PA instead,but the building was sold when our lease expired,maybe its a good thing Colorado is beautiful,but they have been in a drought situation for a few years,and pw'ing has had some severe restrictions put on it by the local gov'ts ,as mentioned by some contractors there who post on different bbs's.Stilll the hunt goes on for that perfect place,which we all know really does not exist,every place has it's pluses and minuses.The majority of my family live in NJ,and that always factors into the equation.Then theres always plan b,sell everything off,lock stock and barrel and move to Key West and bartend,and let the "Keys Disease " take over,oh decisions ,decisions.

Jim

Reno/Northern Nevada is one area I have considered, Vegas forget about it, growing so fast there will be water rationing soon enough. Besides it is desert and HOT.

OR and WA are two other states I am looking into also since wife won't consider GA.

It is not just the cost of living we look at, crime, weather, population, stores, if no Wal-Mart all the better!

How close to a major city, we don't want to live in one, but no more then an hours drive. Would love to live near the ocean again but like Jim says prices are insane.

CO. is nice but to far inland for me.

Won't consider GA, eh? I don't think I'd like any other place, but that's just because I've been here for so long (relatively speaking). As for Walmart, once the one about 0.8 miles down the road from me is finished, I will have 5 of their behemoth, ginormous Super Centers within about 12 minutes of me. Target is working their way...already have 2 with another on the way...right across the street from Walmart. HD...4 within 12 minutes. 2 Lowes with another one the way....right across the street from Target (beside Walmart). Seriously, how many options for underwear, 12-penny nails, and toothpaste does any person need?

It's funny the areas you list Jon,I grew up in NJ,but I have family in Reno,and grew up with my father telling me stories of how nice it was to live there.My Fiance' was born in Eugene Oregon,and has family in Gold Beach Oregon,but she mainly grew up in GA,and PA,her family is still split with half living in both states.I have spent my whole life in the North east,and feel it's time for a change,I like warm weather,but do not like humid weather.The cost of living in the area I grew up in in NJ is insane,that is a big plus to living in NE PA,my house would cost roughly two and a half times more in suburban NJ.I have a few friends who recently moved to North Carolina and rave about it,have to check it out.As far as Walmart,It was a novelty at first to go there,but I have not been to the local Walmart in over a year,too big,too crowded,and I do not like there business practices,they do enter an area with predatory pricing,selling at a loss to drive already established businesses out of business,I have seen it with my own two eyes.I owned a Pizza place at the time a local Walmart opened up,and they were selling Snapple ice teas for $.48 off the shelf,local retail price was $1.25,and the cheapest I could get it from my supplier was $.58 a bottle wholesale,if I bought 10 cases.Just a small example,but they did drive a couple of local chain supermarkets out of business,and then they jack up their prices,some say it is just competition,but it's dirty pool in my book.I frequent local based stores as much as possible,and stay away from walmart.

James what you say is true here in CA, cities are fighting the super stores, one city Inglewood even had the voters tell them to get lost and they went to court over it and lost too!

Wal-Mart is not a competitive store, they are bullies and could care less who they hurt or put out of business.

I bid a few but when they tell me what they pay I tell them stick with the guy if your happy, then as I leave I ask when did he clean last as it looks like he just used a hose annd washed it down. Smart ass remark but true.

Eugene OR is nice, been there, Bend OR too but still want Marietta GA only because my best friend lives there and I have been there often, love the winters.

In due time we will find a place to move to, I can wait a year or two but want to sell house now while market is still hot.

Visit your friend during the week in Marietta and try driving....you might change your mind.

Jim,

Several years ago HP and TI went to battle over the calculator arena for similar pricing reasons. One claimed the other couldn't possibly be making any money off their units and were only selling them at such a reduced price to try and drive the other out of the market, and when the competition was gone prices would increase as in a monopoly. Fast forward to now (and the past ten years). Try and find an HP calculator on the shelves....and TI hasn't reduced the price of their calculators in years. Technology has become cheaper, yet the units themselves aren't increasing in ability, but are increasing in price.

How in the world did this evolve from a topic about wanting to move?

Ryan how about I spent all of Dec. there driving all over, done it 3 times so far and gone over hill and dale and still like it.

The people are friendly, the country is lovely, all over there, not just GA, TN and a few other states.

I will admit I hate being in traffic and mobs of people but did enjoy the coke building and The Underground.

Now I don't drink coke or any soda pop so don't get on my for that, nor beer for that matter.

Another way to see things is where you don't live always looks better.

That old saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the mountain".

NOT so, just a different shade of green.

Just a thought. I have been in the business, "of business", for quite a few years and.. don't just relocate your business. SELL IT! As I have been reading the posts on this bb for awhile I assume you have a good (contractually obligated) customer base. Very appealing to a businessperson looking to break in. Also, depending on your finances(and sanity) you may consider financing 1\3 to 1\2 of the sale amount at twice the prevailing rate for 5 years giving yourself an (almost) guaranteed income while starting anew. Of course, all cash is good too.

Good Luck, wherever you land

If or should I say when the time comes for us to move I don't plan to stay in this business.

Have no idea what I would do but something less physical for sure.

I'll drive the getaway car if one of you go inside and do the taking of $$$$$. LOL