Sign in to follow this  
jgotterb

Unloader questions

It bypasses the water so the pressure is relieved and the pump does not blow up. Heat is a byproduct of the friction of the water and the more is circulates in a closed loop the hotter the water will get. This is way many will run the line back to the tank so it keeps the water cooler (doesn't pass through the pump as many times in a short period) or install a engine terminator that shuts down the engine if the water gets too hot.

As for adjusting the unloader it will depend on the type you have but you can read it all here. http://envirospec.com/techlib/

When you get have the unloader set to the specs of your machine, leave it alone. It is not meant to be adjusted for each job. My double nuts are tack welded so the guys don't try to mess with them. That didn't sound right, but you know what I mean.

To answer your last question, if you are not having a problem with the unloader don't replace it.

As previously mentioned, don't alter the adjustment nuts of your unloader. It is set at the factory to the specs of your pump. But you can increase and decrease the flow using the knob. That is there to allow you to decrease or increase the pressure as your job requires.

Hope this helps.

--Greg

When you adjust an unloader, what you are doing is setting the pressure that the spring opens up at allowing the "valve" (which is what an unloader really is) to go into bypass. This will allow a pressure adjustment (if it opens at a lower psi then you can't get more than that pressure out your wand) and it also make the unloader cycle more. This increased cycling is what tends to wear out an unloader faster than normal use. Previous postsare correct to say change pressure by changing the orifice size of the nozzle. It's a better way than adjusting your unloader i most cases. (Karcher makes machines that are designed to use the unloader to adjust pressure) One of the few I would condone doing this way. keep th eunloader in good working condition to avoide causing other pump trouble.