Sign in to follow this  
Mark Gallison

Pumps and equipment for awning cleaning

Question

I will be adding awning cleaning to my service line this year. Not sure if this is the best category (residential pressure washing) to post this but I am wondering what those of you that do this due for equipment. I don’t want to be using my high-pressure equipment even dialed down and want to have something separate. I am thinking like using a separate gasoline driven pump, putting out somewhere around 250-350 psi and 2 or so GPM. Need to push trough 200" possible of 1/4 to 3/8 hose to feed the awning cleaning attachments. Want to use the right equipment and look and be professional as with the rest of our services. Any info you can share would be great!

Mark Gallison

Clean Mid West / MarKir Services Inc.

mark@cleanmidwest.com

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the feedback. One of my goals is to set up a separate trailer of small van with only the awning cleaning equip and have that as a separate division. Also something that would push water a couple hundred feet through smaller diameter hose if access was difficult and we cant get very close to the work. I would like something that is a little more quit as well if we are just cleaning awnings so thats why I am inquiry about a different set up. I want to send the message that we have the proper equip for the job because I am finding out through research that when you use or reflect anything related to "pressure washing" when dealing with awning customers it gets people very nervous. having a very low pressure decent GPM machine would give me the ability to apply more water for quicker presoak and rinsing without using much more than garden hose pressure. Also having an on board tank will eliminate the need to try and find a close spigot and not having to run out a bunch of feeder hose.

Mark,

We just use a Shurflo. We have two tanks on board, one with the cleaner and one with rinse water. Usually run this right out of the F150, and offer window washing as well. It's a good up-sell if you have a shopping center or something similar, but targeting strictly awnings is tough. Good luck.

'Pressure Washer' is just a generic term to describe the equipment. Change the nozzle and call it "low pressure" or "soft washing" either way you still have a pump and an engine. There is nothing wrong with that, it is all in how you use your equipment. There are plenty of "soft washers" that use a pressure washer to do their work, they just reduce the pressure.

I certainly understand that after being in the biz for so long.. I do know that many people are not comfortable with any association to pressure washing when it comes to their awnings. I am fully aware that my machine is capable of doing the similar work but am thinking about having a separate group of equip that is tailored for that work which would not require that much GPM etc. Having a skid type sprayer pump set up in a van will also give me more ease of parking in tight spots and make considerably less noise. Using my PW is overkill in any sense of its application. I also will be using DI water through the systems and DI and High pressure pumps do not get along well and I would not have that issue with the types of pumps i am looking for. I was hoping that someone out there could just give me some vendor references for that type. I think I would be best inquiring on a lawn spraying site possibly.

Thanks for the feedback