Sign in to follow this  
JamieP

Deck Cleaning/Staining Suggestions

Question

I need some suggestions for the best way to restore this deck.

Also what stain product do you recommend? Why?

What would you charge?

761 Sq Ft + 95 Linear Ft of railing.

Thanks in advance

post-5045-137772307037_thumb.jpg

post-5045-137772307062_thumb.jpg

post-5045-137772307085_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

i try to price around $1.68 per total sq ft, not on the floor sq ft. This way i now how much material i will need and can show how much of the cost is going towards materials. I would guess that customers would appreciate knowing how much of thier bill is going towards materials.

I think my price in Virginia would be irrelevant but I will say that I will price a heavily aged or dirty deck as a light strip rather than just a clean and stain. I had a couple last year that I almost could have done faster if I had to strip a coating rather than 20yrs of nothing.

Im sorry I shouldn't have asked for pricing. I mainly wanted to know the best process for cleaning this deck. Sanding?? Stripper/Neutralizer?? Thanks

Jamie,

Looks like pine. Most of my work is pine. My take on this.... I am best served with a sod. Hyd. based solution. Can't tell by the pics, but you might run into what's left of an old finish under the eves and protected areas. I'd go into that one with what I'd consider a weak stripper. Basically something similar to HD-80 and dilute it a little more than you would for stipping. Where those flower pots sat for years you'll be good to completely make that vanish. You'll need to neutralize after cleaning. Rinse really well when cleaning and neutralize wet. AC is my stain of choice. Feel free to give me a call - cell 256-750-1751. That's central time, BTW.