Sign in to follow this  
Phil Rogers

Sealer an additional cost to price per sq. foot?

Question

I have my first wood clean and seal job coming up. When you do your pricing, do you charge a certain price per sq ft and that covers sealer, too? Or, do you charge a price per sq. foot and add the sealer cost to that number?

Just curious, thank you.

5 answers to this question

Some seperate out the materials. I charge all inclusive sq ft price. If it is a really dry deck or something that would add a lot more materials I will add an extra charge.

In indiana we have to seperate the sealer from the invoice or we're required to collect sales tax on the whole ticket. By itemizing it we only have to collect it on the sealer. I like it listed seperate anyway.

I give a quote broken down with labor and material costs that basically adds up to a sq ft price with sealer and chems included. I find that customers like to see a certain amount of detail, but not complicated quotes. Everyone is different, but most residentials like to see a material cost and a labor cost. For my purpose, I know my sq ft charges after taking a look, then I break it out for them on a quote. I then explain the charges.