Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Pump warm up?

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if something is going in my pump? When I first start up my washer for the day it takes a good 5 - 7 minutes for my pump to spray full flow. It kind of shutters a little then won't spray at all for a minute or so. After about 5 minutes it doesn't do this any more and I don't have any problems the rest of the day. I have a 4.5 gpm, 3000psi, 13hp Honda with a General pump. Pump only has about 100 - 120 hours on it. Thanks in advance for your input!

Gav

How is the water supply to the pump? Could there be restriction of water flow to the inlet? Usually I only get this when I pull from a stagnant source (like a tank) without enough head, but it resolves itself once the pump gets fully primed.

I had a similar problem recently, in that each time I idled for a couple minutes or more, It took 30 to 60 seconds to get full pressure back. I took the unloader out, and there was just the tiniest amount of dirt in it, cleaned it out, and no more problems!

might want to give that a try.

Supply has been varied from well water to your basic house supply. Haven't had to haul water very much lately. I have in inlet filter but it is checked & cleaned regularly, as well as the glass filter. I was just wondering if anyone elses pump has to "warm up"? Like I said, after the initial start-up in the morning it doesn't act like that the rest of the day regardless of where or what I'm drawing from. I also check and change the pump oil regularly. Thanks Ryan.

Thanks Jon, that could be it. I had a problem about 8 months ago where some dirty water got into my tank and that could have happened then.

If that is a direct drive pump you might have a defective EZ start valve. That is if the pump has one.

The valve is suppose to open and releive pump pressure during start up. Once started the pump reaches full pressure and the valve closes.

The EZ start is usually located on the backside of the pump inlet. It will have a small hose coming off it leading to your inlet water filter.

Disconnect the line at the filter and screw a plug into the filter port. Hook up your water source and water should exit the open end of the hose with the engine off. Start the machine and the valve should fully close and no water will pass. If the valve is passing water once the engine is running you found your problem. Hard water can lead to premature failure.

I now see these valves as useless. After hooking up to your water source lock the gun in the open position without a nozzle. Once you have good flow exiting the lance, start the machine. There will be very little resistance.

Hope this helps!