Sign in to follow this  
wireless

Water Blasting My Garage Door

Hi gang,

I’ve been hanging out just reading and lurking around. Thanks to everyone for sharing there hard earned experiences. You all do some pretty cool stuff.

So now I have my home project. I have a standard 16’X7’ raised panel garage door. I do believe it to be galvanized steel, and the paint is peeling off. I tried my pressure washer, and I can get it down to bare metal, but it was VERY slow process. So I’m looking at adding a sandblasting adapter to my pressure washer.

I have a Colman with a 5.5Hp Honda engine. The pump is rated at 2,300 PSI @ 2.3 GPM. I’ve found a kit made by a company called Arrowline, my questions are.

#1. What would be a good media to use? My first guess would be soda, or walnut shells?

#2. They offer Carbide tip in the below sizes. I’m sure that the size has a bearing on type of media, PSI and GPM. So what would be the best combination for my washer and job at hand?

Brass Sandblaster Kit 3.5 Orifice 1.2mm

Brass Sandblaster Kit 4.5 Orifice 1.3mm

Brass Sandblaster Kit 5.5 Orifice 1.4mm

Brass Sandblaster Kit 6.0 Orifice 1.5mm

Thank in advance to all.

Mike

Edited by wireless

Russ, are you really going to tell a home owner who will probably not wear the correct ventilation hood to use silica?

Crushed glass is ok, no free silica with that, but not a product containing levels of free silica....

ANY media blasting should be done with correct respiratory gear.

Symptoms and Diagnosis for Silicosis and Silica Dust Exposure

Additionally, "sand" blasting (crushed glass) is a dry process, and you do not need a pressure washer. If you want a wet blast with media try baking soda, but please be advise you will kill every plant in proximity.....grass, etc.....so take appropriate steps.

Beth

Beth,

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. Thinking back now, I should have posted in DYI, as I am a home owner.

Thank you for the health warnings, but I was already aware of the need for hooded ventilation when working with silica.

So this discussion brings more questions. I would still like to use my pressure wash for wet sandblasting. With that said.

#3. At 2,300 PSI will Baking Soda be aggressive enough to get me down to bare metal?

#4. If using Baking Soda, will the 3.5 orifice still be the correct choice?

#5. What are your thoughts, and health issues, concerns in using “Black Beauty” (Two parts glass bead to one part aluminum oxide.)?

#6. If I go with the Black Beauty, will the 3.5 orifice still be the correct choice?

#7. I’m on the IL/WI state line (60083 zip code) any direction as to a supplier for my media needs?

Thanks again for the quick response.

Mike