Sign in to follow this  
al9226

Vinyl Fence not shiny.

Question

I just cleaned a vinyl fence. I used my house wash mix (12% and Joy down streamed). The fence is clean and bright, but does not have the shine that it did before. Any sugjestions?

22 answers to this question

Did alot of the finish wash off as you were cleaning? Possible oxidation problem.

All of the shine came off. I tried rinsing a couple more times but still doesn't shine. Looks real clean but no shine. Is there a way to get it shiny again? Maybe with liquid wax down stream.

Before you wash it again, run your hand over it....do you get a chalky white residue on your hand? If you wipe with a wet rag can you even get back to shiny, or is that top coating (where the shiny is) gone completely? Don't wash until you can answer this.

There are agents that are for waxing vinyl siding. You might also do a small test spot with some of that.....just a thought.

Beth

It has a chalky residue. I tried the wet rag. It removes the residue, but no shiny left.

What do you suggest to remove the residue?

What do you suggest to make it shiny again?

What do you think caused the problem? I'm thinking too strong of a mix.

Before you wash it again, run your hand over it....do you get a chalky white residue on your hand? If you wipe with a wet rag can you even get back to shiny, or is that top coating (where the shiny is) gone completely? Don't wash until you can answer this.

There are agents that are for waxing vinyl siding. You might also do a small test spot with some of that.....just a thought.

Beth

It has a chalky residue. I tried the wet rag. It removes the residue, but no shiny left.

What do you suggest to remove the residue?

What do you suggest to make it shiny again?

What do you think caused the problem? I'm thinking too strong of a mix.

I was going to say that as well Beth, but they stopped making it a few yrs back, right?

I tried some from the test kit they sent me and it worked fine, took a while, but worked fine.

I'm sold on the carnuba as well. Cheap and easy. Brings back the shimmer.

I was going to say that as well Beth, but they stopped making it a few yrs back, right?

I tried some from the test kit they sent me and it worked fine, took a while, but worked fine.

I'm sold on the carnuba as well. Cheap and easy. Brings back the shimmer.

Can you give me an idea on the mix. I downstream from a 5 gal.

left a mix on your vox mail Al.

Thanks - I'll give it a try. The fence is White Vinyl. I'ts in front of a subdivision. I have a contract with them to do it twice a year. They haven't said anything, but I'm not pleased with it. I'm going back with the wax.

adrian can you pm me the mix we some times run in to pvc fences and chairs that are like that.

I have not used the mix on furniture, but I don't see why it wouldn't be any different. It works great on the vinyl fences but is not a permanant fix. But like Al said, twice a yr or so is perfect.

Ron M told me once he uses that mix for bathroom stall doors and walls to defer graffiti. It somehow causes magic markers to be NOT so magic.

I PM'd you BTW.